• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Caskanette

Dan Caskanette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 04:40 PM

Hi Everyone, our company has finally taken the plunge to incorporate softlist.  We are a log home company so some of the things we do are a bit on conventional.  We have 3 log width and use a different sill plate width for each.  2x6 for 6" log, 2x8 for 8" log and 2x10 for 10" log.

I have created 3 separate cedar sill plate materials.  What I would like to know is, is there a way to write a formula that tells softlist to report the 2x6 when the log wall is 6" and then 2x8 the log is 8"?  Basically I want the formula to reference the name of the log wall.  Is that possible?

I should mention that the sill plate is part of the foundation wall, not the log wall.  I could add the plates to the log wall to keep the formula simpler, but we prefer having the bottom of the log wall at 0 station when drawing.

Thanks,
Dan

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 04 November 2022 - 06:34 PM

Would it be easier to use the sill plate in the floor system and change the sill plate width in the floor option to match the log width you are using? I have not tried it, but it should show in the softlist with the sill plate you chose in the floor option.

Not at my computer right now to check this, so let me know if this helps.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Dan Caskanette

Dan Caskanette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 10:57 AM

Hi David, I did just try that and it does work, but for us, it's one more thing have to draw and adjust when the building changes (which happens alot :) ).  However, I have added your method to our take-off.  Thanks.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#4 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 08 November 2022 - 06:21 AM

Create a User Defined Variable with a "Selection" prompt. The choices for your prompt would be your log thickness. Create Material Definitions that reference the UDF choice. That way whatever you choose from your prompt will determine which plate is used.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Dan Caskanette

Dan Caskanette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 November 2022 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Philip, I will give that a shot.  I'm finally putting the crash course you gave me to use :)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users