#1 Jeffrey Elliott

Jeffrey Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNew Palestine, IN

Posted 26 December 2022 - 04:10 PM

Last week I drove 40 miles one way only to realize I forgot my Program Key.  I called Softplan and was told there is no way around not plugging in you key to make the program work.  I felt like I was in the dark ages. My friends and family use other software and yes....they can either get an emergency pass code or they type in a code when they use their software.  When are we going to get something like this.  It was the first time in 17 years but to drive in traffic for an hour for a four hour meeting on a 8200 sq. ft. house and no help from my software supplier....I think Softplan could figure something out.

Jeff Elliott

Jeff Elliott

New Palestine, IN

jeffelliott@me.com

NPI Consulting LLC

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 05:27 PM

agree 1000%   the key is stupid to still be using.  electronic verification of your license like lumion does shouldn't be hard to implement.  Of course, I've been hoping stairs would work correctly for 15 years and still fight them on every single project

• Warren Ducote, Mark Petri, Chris Proost and 2 others like this

#3 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 06:09 PM

Softplan is the ONLY software I use that requires a key.  It has been an absolute pain.  It is such a great program too.  Why a key?  So I will double down on Sam and agree 2000%!  Ps.  I have given up on stairs.....almost....

• Warren Ducote and Allen McDonnell like this

#4 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 26 December 2022 - 07:08 PM

double down again...4000%

I like hand crank windows in my cars, but the key must go.

• Warren Ducote likes this

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#5 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 December 2022 - 07:57 AM

Count me in.  My computer technician cannot stand it either....says it is very old technology.  Honestly, I dont know much progression to expect with softplan any longer.  It is starting to feel like very dated software.  

#6 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 11:25 AM

Count me in.  My computer technician cannot stand it either....says it is very old technology.  Honestly, I dont know much progression to expect with softplan any longer.  It is starting to feel like very dated software.  

I have been using SoftPlan for about 8 years now as my only architectural software, and I am probably biased because of my continuous use of the software but I still see myself using it for years to come just because of the ease of use, familiarity, and flexibility I have with knowing the tips and tricks learned over the years. I have suggested a few electronic licensing companies to where they offer digital keys that are in a cloud opposed to SoftPlan building their own electronic management cloud, meaning that they have options depending on budget and company goals. Yes, it is a pain to always carry around a key to activate software, but I hope that the feature set of the program is extended as priority since that is where I am most impacted when wanting to compare it to other software packages that have stronger capabilities for other building styles, construction methods, etc. (the list goes on). Although, an extra USB spot on my computer would be nice  :D

#7 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 27 December 2022 - 01:25 PM

I have been using SoftPlan for about 8 years now as my only architectural software, and I am probably biased because of my continuous use of the software but I still see myself using it for years to come just because of the ease of use, familiarity, and flexibility I have with knowing the tips and tricks learned over the years. I have suggested a few electronic licensing companies to where they offer digital keys that are in a cloud opposed to SoftPlan building their own electronic management cloud, meaning that they have options depending on budget and company goals. Yes, it is a pain to always carry around a key to activate software, but I hope that the feature set of the program is extended as priority since that is where I am most impacted when wanting to compare it to other software packages that have stronger capabilities for other building styles, construction methods, etc. (the list goes on). Although, an extra USB spot on my computer would be nice  :D

Have you tried Allplan or Archicad?

I think i have been using Softplan for about the same amount of time.

• Matthew Dunson likes this

#8 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 27 December 2022 - 02:25 PM

I too have been victim to forgetting the key when showing up at a meeting to do an as built but I think I understand what the key is for…. I have heard of people using other software where they share their login with their interior designers and others to be able to do side work on one license.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 11 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#9 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 02:30 PM

I don't think I've ever not had my key with me when needed.  I have it on my keychain and have since I started in 2006 so if I'm leaving anywhere by car, its going with me.  Its just a pain to have to carry it around when there are other ways of doing the same thing.

#10 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 02:50 PM

Have you tried Allplan or Archicad?

I think i have been using Softplan for about the same amount of time.

I have looked into Archicad, Revit, and a few other software packages and I am at a point to where I do see the limitations of SoftPlan to a certain extent. A lot of other programs have more advanced building implications such as parametric modeling, commercial construction with steel and concrete systems, etc. but I have not had an application yet to where I would need anything more than what SoftPlan currently offers but that could change very soon. I don't want to stray this thread off of the intended topic of license keys, but in short, I know SoftPlan has the capabilities of advancing the software further to appeal for these modern demands. (and that includes switching from physical to digital licensing keys)  :lol:

• Rob Vanderwoerd likes this

#11 Stephan Page

Stephan Page

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 27 December 2022 - 02:55 PM

I have another cad software I use frequently with no 'key', but I have to remember to open the program and then deactivate it.  Then when I use my laptop for the program, I have to type in the license number and password.  It's kind of a pain, and as I recently found out, you need the internet for it to activate.  I like the key better personally, but that can be a pain as well based on the posts above

#12 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 27 December 2022 - 03:06 PM

I have looked into Archicad, Revit, and a few other software packages and I am at a point to where I do see the limitations of SoftPlan to a certain extent. A lot of other programs have more advanced building implications such as parametric modeling, commercial construction with steel and concrete systems, etc. but I have not had an application yet to where I would need anything more than what SoftPlan currently offers but that could change very soon. I don't want to stray this thread off of the intended topic of license keys, but in short, I know SoftPlan has the capabilities of advancing the software further to appeal for these modern demands. (and that includes switching from physical to digital licensing keys) :lol:

Joe Stoddard has a classic response to what software is best…

https://forums.jlcon...-softplan/page3

At the end of the comments on page 3, Joe does a good job explaining the benefits of the hardware key

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 11 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#13 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 03:11 PM

I feel like I have demo every professional CAD program available over the last 6 months.  A bunch of them did something better than SoftPlan but none that I looked at did everything SoftPlan does especially for residential:  2D, Rendering and Softlist.  I am looking hard at rendering software but mainly to play with and jazz up my presentations.  That said, SoftPlan has proven more than adequate to meet my clients needs. I am looking forward to 2024. But, I still hate the key and I want the stairs below and above to auto show......and I want to be able to align walls above and below....and.....  B)

• David Zawadzki and Matthew Dunson like this

#14 Jason Bishop

Jason Bishop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:18 PM

Another vote for a passcode.
Soft Plan, please! We beg you.
  • Rick Kingsbury and Chris Proost like this

#15 Mike Miller

Mike Miller

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 10:47 AM

Good and bad to both passcode and key, but yes totally have my vote for passcode instead of keys.

#16 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 January 2023 - 01:32 PM

+1

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#17 Rick Kingsbury

Rick Kingsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, SD

Posted 23 January 2023 - 03:22 PM

I would also like a passcode.

#18 Harrison (Ted) Loxton

Harrison (Ted) Loxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 08:48 PM

I was just packing to head to IBS (Vegas) & realized I didn't have my key - 
I just ran back to the office to grab it.

Could you imagine if I forgot my key?

I'd have to enjoy Vegas for what it is & actually take a bit of a vacation.  (I'm not really sure what a vacation is though)

#19 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 12:01 PM

Keep the key.  I changed my mind.  Another program I use a lot has been down for 2 days because of a major hack (a number of countries affected) and I can not access my work because there is no internet connection available.  Just a thought.  Not a sermon.  

• David Zawadzki likes this

#20 Rick Kingsbury

Rick Kingsbury

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationSpearfish, SD

Posted 14 February 2023 - 04:13 PM

Why can't we have both?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users