#1 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 March 2023 - 01:49 PM

I have a roof plan I am 3D modeling for a friend and need help waking up some brain cells to figure out how to make parts of the gable overhangs extend out an additional 12 inches at the peak.

See attached roof plan:

Attached Thumbnails

• Whitetail Roof Plan 2023-03-24_13-42-20.png

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#2 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:05 PM

beams

• David Zawadzki likes this

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:40 PM

I was hoping we could just break the roof, like we can now do with walls, and adjust the overhang.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:54 PM

I hear you David. Kind of like Chief can or the 'push-pull' of sketchup. It would make a number of things much easier.

• David Zawadzki and Stephan Page like this

#5 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:16 PM

Extend the entire gable out the two feet then use the roof hole tool to the shape you want to leave.  

#6 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:35 PM

After cutting the roof hole , as Fred mentioned, do not uncheck the soffit and fascia box

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 24 March 2023 - 11:20 PM

Then try to hide the roof hole mess you have. for 2D live views. It is one way, but not perfect. Saving and cleaning up the roof layout linework when done is the cleanest way at the end. If for 3D only, the holes tend to work better than beams a lot of the time. If the roof below is the same roof as a gable above the holes will not work. Don't see any in your example that look like they will have that problem. Then you have to either break up roofs or use beams or walls that are hidden. Often best to move them out away from the main walls so referencing doesn't get messy.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 03:25 AM

Its beams as I recall.   I think the SP tutorial  on a "prow roof" is what you are looking for.

Maybe.

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 March 2023 - 08:14 PM

I move my beams fully inside the structure, as that keeps the inside edge of the soffit fully within the exterior walls.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users