#1 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 13 June 2023 - 02:10 PM

So, what am I missing on beams?  The typical porch beam in my area is 2 or 3 ply lvl beam.  This beam will get osb and stucco applied over the top to make it's finish match the wall of the house.  I have created a new beam just at it would be constructed in the real world but I can't for the life of me get the 2 beams to fillet and make a corner that looks correct in 3d.  I have been using a 2x6 wall set to 12" tall and offset to match what the height of the beam would be. I put the beam/wall on a hidden layer and all was good. Now all of a sudden no matter what I do with the join tolerance, that wall causes the front wall of the house to disappear.  Sure wish I could make the beam work as it would be much faster than my old method.  Thanks!

#2 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 June 2023 - 02:20 PM

Im having the same issue with walls disappearing...then you send in a ticket and SP cant replicate the issue....so i dont bother.  When the wall disappears delete one of the openings and then hit undo...all should be fine.  In Sp 22 i never had an issue with walls disappearing.   When it happens again, which it will, repeat the steps i just mentioned.

Good for you for trying to do it correct...just some things SP cannot figure out.

• Dennis Asher likes this

#3 Mike Adams

Mike Adams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 June 2023 - 11:24 AM

Dennis,

I use the heck out of solids.  In your situation...for 3D, I would make a solid cube slightly larger that the beam and slide it over the beam like a glove.

#4 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 14 June 2023 - 12:24 PM

Dennis,

I use the heck out of solids.  In your situation...for 3D, I would make a solid cube slightly larger that the beam and slide it over the beam like a glove.

Great Minds think alike Mike! That's exactly what I ended up doing.  It works great and is much easier than the way I was doing it before!   Best yet...no disappearing walls! lol

#5 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 June 2023 - 02:22 PM

Yes, been there....it works but for revisions it gets clunky....  For my porch slabs, columns, bases, etc I always use solids...solids stay put and dont clean up!!!!

• Harlon Suttle and Dennis Asher like this

#6 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 21 June 2023 - 09:52 AM

I had the same issue with walls disappearing and the beams ends not cleaning up. Setting the Join Tolerance on the beams to 0" fixes both problems. The wall reappears and I can adjust the length of the beam to just under the surface of the abutting beam. Sometimes the beam making the wall disappear is in the floor system under the wall.

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users