3D zoom, navigation

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dennis Swihart_*

Guest_Dennis Swihart_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2023 - 05:45 AM

I'm having a hard time getting used to moving in 3D.  When I scroll in to zoom, I have to hold down the right mouse button to keep the model from moving out of view.  Is that normal behavior?  Also, zooming with the scroll wheel is very slow.  I've got my system options set to "run" and highest speed of 20.  I noticed that holding down the alt key when I scroll does not speed it up at all.

Moving in 3D seems really awkward compared to other software (like Sketchup) where you don't have to think about it much at all.  Maybe if I understand better what's going on, I can get used to it.

For the 3d speed, would a different mouse help?  I just have a basic MS compliant mouse (I'm on Windows 10).  I see some users are using a 3dConnexion mouse.  Forgetting about the price of that for a moment, would that be likely to solve the zoom speed issue?  Would a cheaper mouse but one with custom software help?

I've scoured the forums and didn't really see an answer to the speed issue.  (Although I can't download some of the screen shots that were posted there.)  I saw that you can use the up/down keys to zoom in much faster.  But with the model moving out of view when I do that, it doesn't work for me, not to mention that the mouse and the up/down areas are on the same side of the keyboard making this quite awkward.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I'd like to be able to present this software to my team and bosses without having to mention this as a major issue.  

Thank you.

#2 John Pepper

John Pepper

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 406 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 09:49 AM

If you find the view is turning left or right as you scroll in with the mouse you may want to try a different mouse.  It is detecting that you are pushing down on the middle mouse button thus quickly putting you in an orbit.

The alt key will not do anything when you are in run mode because you are already running.  If you are in walk mode then holding down the alt key will put you in run mode until you let up on the alt key.

Zooming with the scroll wheel is slower than with the arrow keys.  I recommend that you put the default speed of 10, turn off run mode, and use the up down arrow keys.  Use the alt key when you want to go faster.

Use the scroll wheel for fine adjustments.

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 23 June 2023 - 01:54 PM

Have you tried the two navigation globes in the bottom left corner to get around quickly?

I use a 3D Connexion mouse for fine movements but use the above if I want to get around fast.
  • Stephan Page likes this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 04:23 PM

I use everything for different reasons.  But just for quick exterior getting around and about, I use the camera and keep the target in the middle of the house.  I find it really fast to grab the camera and move it to the position I want to see - up and around and about and even inside.  I like the orbit view to take look at the exterior as I finish things up.  So many ways to get around.   

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users