Attic/Loft Above Garage

3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Casali

Jim Casali

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 12:55 PM

I started a garage addition plan in which we will be expanding an existing one car garage into a two car garage (files attached). I believe what i've done so far is good, but now I am running into an issue with creating a loft above. I know how to use auto attic but we will be using 14" 560 TJI's to meet the span requirements, rather than trusses, so I cannot use this feature. Also, I tried creating a 2nd floor above which turned into a mess so now im back to square one. I thought this would be fairly simple but its becoming a challenge to add a loft above the garage. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.PNG
  • 2.PNG
  • 3.PNG

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 18 August 2023 - 01:42 PM

I would draw that with normal exterior walls on the perimeter.  Set the height on your hipped side walls to zero.  Draw the floor system, draw the roof, edit gable walls to fit to roof.  Super simple

• Jim Casali likes this

#3 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:20 PM

I would draw that with normal exterior walls on the perimeter.  Set the height on your hipped side walls to zero.  Draw the floor system, draw the roof, edit gable walls to fit to roof.  Super simple

HI Sam

Curious, why do you set the hipped sidewalls to “0”?

I normally draw the floor system then add a roof with a heel height in this case of 14 3/4” then add the additional 2nd storey walls as a 2nd floor with the dormer walls (with roof added to those) and a separate wall at the end with a window (normally) and make that a rake wall as it won’t see the roof from below?

it’s not a lot of work but interested if your way is simpler?

Thanks GW

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 21 August 2023 - 07:49 AM

the zero height walls are there for a reference for the floor system and so the exterior material will cover the floor.

HI Sam

Curious, why do you set the hipped sidewalls to “0”?

I normally draw the floor system then add a roof with a heel height in this case of 14 3/4” then add the additional 2nd storey walls as a 2nd floor with the dormer walls (with roof added to those) and a separate wall at the end with a window (normally) and make that a rake wall as it won’t see the roof from below?

it’s not a lot of work but interested if your way is simpler?

Thanks GW

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users