• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Donna Lindsey

Donna Lindsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 09:15 PM

Has anyone ever drawn an insulation plan?  I have a builder who wants me to add one and can't find a sample on google.  

Thanks,

Donna

#2 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 05:51 AM

I have been doing this stuff (drawing, building) all my life. I am now 185 yrs old and have never seen an insulation plan in any residential or commercial drawing.  I am very curious if there is such an animal and what it looks like too.  The only thing I can think of is detail sections showing the placement of insulation and its thiickness, etc....  Good luck! 

#3 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 06:07 AM

Wait a minute.....I did find an insulation plan..... :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Blanket House.jpeg

• David Zawadzki and Wendall Hilty like this

#4 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:35 AM

Has anyone ever drawn an insulation plan?  I have a builder who wants me to add one and can't find a sample on google.  
Thanks,
Donna

Ask your builder client to send you an example of the insulation plan that he speaks of.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#5 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 19 September 2023 - 10:46 AM

Maybe he wants it to show on the floor plan with the insulation texture showing and maybe the interior walls for sound suppression.
  • David Zawadzki likes this

#6 Donna Lindsey

Donna Lindsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 01:50 PM

Thank you Richard,

Yes, that is what he wants.  He wants to show areas for sound proofing and around plumbing but I don't know how to show and he doesn't have an example. 

Would you know how I need to show that?

Donna

#7 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 02:15 PM

Thank you Richard,

Yes, that is what he wants.  He wants to show areas for sound proofing and around plumbing but I don't know how to show and he doesn't have an example. 

Would you know how I need to show that?

Donna

Copy and define an exterior and interior wall to show the insulation texture. Use the interior wall where he wants sound deading, then add a note if you needed to.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• insulated walls.jpg
  • Isulated interior wall.jpg

#8 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 19 September 2023 - 02:16 PM

Here is an example. It is just using the insulation line type and setting the width and fill increment to match the wall thickness and then drawing the lines in the walls themselves. OR, you can create a new wall type 

Attached Files

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 September 2023 - 06:24 PM

It's no wonder we can't get work done ... Everyone involved in the building process from the Building Inspector to the Contractor avoid taking responsibility for anything ... Everything is always our fault, and everyone else want to cover their ass and say "The designer did it!"

An Insulation plan is ridiculous overkill!

• Steve and Carla Farnam, Mike Adams, Allen McDonnell and 1 other like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#10 Donna Lindsey

Donna Lindsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 06:10 AM

Thanks Keith, 

I agree.  I can't see why the insulation company can't do it, but they don't draw and he wants clear instructions to them.  :-)

#11 Donna Lindsey

Donna Lindsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 06:11 AM

Thank you Gary,

I think this is exactly what he is looking for.  I will do this.  Thanks again, Donna

#12 Donna Lindsey

Donna Lindsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 06:14 AM

Thank you Richard,

You and Gary showed what I think he wants.  Thank you again for your help.  Donna

#13 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 07:07 AM

It's no wonder we can't get work done ... Everyone involved in the building process from the Building Inspector to the Contractor avoid taking responsibility for anything ... Everything is always our fault, and everyone else want to cover their ass and say "The designer did it!"

An Insulation plan is ridiculous overkill!

SPOT ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 20 September 2023 - 07:29 AM

All walls that REQUIRE insulation should be insulated as per code and inspected accordingly - no need for an "insulation plan".
IF any additional walls are getting insulation (for sound, etc.) not required per code, then client can use a highlighter to highlight those walls and send a copy to the insulation contractor. (simple as that - no insulation plan provided)

If you provide the client with an insulation plan, you will be opening the door to provide him with a plan for anything - roof shingle placement plan < lol
Seriously though, it does open the door for providing anything else, because you catered to his request, rather than pushing back to provide plans that are required by code, ordinances, etc.

My 1/2 a cent comments.

Tommy

• Keith Almond, Steve and Carla Farnam, Donna Lindsey and 1 other like this

#15 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 September 2023 - 08:39 AM

All walls that REQUIRE insulation should be insulated as per code and inspected accordingly - no need for an "insulation plan".
IF any additional walls are getting insulation (for sound, etc.) not required per code, then client can use a highlighter to highlight those walls and send a copy to the insulation contractor. (simple as that - no insulation plan provided)

If you provide the client with an insulation plan, you will be opening the door to provide him with a plan for anything - roof shingle placement plan < lol
Seriously though, it does open the door for providing anything else, because you catered to his request, rather than pushing back to provide plans that are required by code, ordinances, etc.

My 1/2 a cent comments.

Tommy

Spot on.

• Thomas Davis and Steve and Carla Farnam like this

#16 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 12:17 PM

When you get the project setup like you want it create a "Drawing Template" so the next time you do a project for this builder you won't have to reinvent the wheel. Bill Wimberly show me how to create them. I don't ever have the need to use the "Default Template".

Attached Thumbnails

• New Drawing Template.jpg
  • Save to system.jpg

#17 Donna Lindsey

Donna Lindsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 01:01 PM

When you get the project setup like you want it create a "Drawing Template" so the next time you do a project for this builder you won't have to reinvent the wheel. Bill Wimberly show me how to create them. I don't ever have the need to use the "Default Template".

Thank you.  I will try this out.

#18 Donna Lindsey

Donna Lindsey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2023 - 01:05 PM

My 1/2 a cent comments.

Tommy

I agree Tommy, but this is my largest account.  He builds over 200 houses a year and the houses that he wants the insulation plan for are 1.5 to 3million dollars.  He wants insulation around the theater and bathroom and laundry room walls that aren't required by code and while I agree a highlighter would be great, he wants it on the plans so they can't say they didn't get it.    I don't want to do it either.  

• Thomas Davis likes this

#19 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 21 September 2023 - 09:03 AM

I agree Tommy, but this is my largest account.  He builds over 200 houses a year and the houses that he wants the insulation plan for are 1.5 to 3million dollars.  He wants insulation around the theater and bathroom and laundry room walls that aren't required by code and while I agree a highlighter would be great, he wants it on the plans so they can't say they didn't get it.    I don't want to do it either.  

Not a lot of work to keep a 200 house a year client happy?

#20 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 21 September 2023 - 09:24 AM

I typically just place a note on the plans saying all interior walls between bedrooms, bathrooms and adjacent living spaces to be insulated for sound. Done!

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Insulation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users