#1 JOHN PATTERSON

JOHN PATTERSON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPowell Ohio

Posted 22 November 2023 - 01:25 PM

I don't use layers a whole lot. Just seems like another complication to manage. Is there a way to move all extension and dimension lines to a new layer without having to click on each dim. and extension line separately?

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 November 2023 - 02:05 PM

Yes ... Right click ... Add type selection, and then Right click ... Set Layer. Do dimensions and then do extensions.

• Brent Hyndman likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Jon Churchill

Jon Churchill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationThe Oaks, Australia

Posted 22 November 2023 - 02:10 PM

John,

Right click on a dimension and select add Group Selection. This will high light all dimensions.

While the dimensions are high lighted right click on an extension and select under cursor > extensions > add Group Selection.

Right click again on one of the dimensions or extensions and select set layer.

All dimensions and extensions will move to the selected layer.

Jon

• Keith Almond, Brent Hyndman and Richard Rubinski like this

#4 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 November 2023 - 07:05 AM

Ah, John - you're missing out on a huge organizer and time-saver in SP. My initial reaction to layers was similar to yours...but couldn't live w/o them now. Once you get a system set up and get the hang of it, layers really makes SP "sing" (as another member put it).

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Jeremy Plum

Jeremy Plum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBishop, Ca.

Posted 23 November 2023 - 07:33 AM

Ah, John - you're missing out on a huge organizer and time-saver in SP. My initial reaction to layers was similar to yours...but couldn't live w/o them now. Once you get a system set up and get the hang of it, layers really makes SP "sing" (as another member put it).

and then Building Options takes it to another level entirely. 

But like you said Richard, "once you get a system set-up"...it does take some time and brain power investment to dial in, but well worth the effort for the benefits.

Jeremy Plum

Plum Design & Construction

#6 JOHN PATTERSON

JOHN PATTERSON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPowell Ohio

Posted 24 November 2023 - 09:12 AM

Thx guys.

#7 Chris Astuccio

Chris Astuccio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:12 PM

Can i ask what the best way to utilize both layers and groups are?  am toying with them now and when it seems like i have it i loose it lol sorry im a noob. I do have experience in photoshot  with layers but it doesn't seem quite as easy

#8 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 08:42 PM

I don't use groups much but get a lot of mileage from layers. Attached drawings are a room addition project. My layers panel is docked on the right, and I keep it just wide enough for the layer names and visibility tabs to show. Having just about everything I draw on a separate layer makes it much easier to keep the drawing organized, especially when you have multiple uses of same drawing. The first attached drawing, for instance, is showing as just the floor plan in this multi-drawing, but in the framing plan multi-drawing it's the exact same base drawing, just with different layers visible and invisible. Same for electrical, etc. One drawing, many different outputs with layers on and off.

It took a little while to get used to switching to the correct layer before I start drawing, but once I got in that habit it's easy. Here's a trick, though - if you keep the layer colors in the layer setup the same as the drawing options colors, you won't realize it when you're drawing on the wrong layer. So I made the layer colors different from the drawing options colors. That way, if I start drawing dimensions and they're gray instead of green, I know I'm on the wrong layer.

Having the ability to "lock" everything on a layer is also tremendous - I'll lock all the electrical, for example, then go back to the floor plan (where the electrical doesn't show) and work on it without worrying that I will accidentally move an electrical item.

And "fade" - my favorite use of that is on my "background" layer, where I'll import a JPG then draw over it. Much easier to see my work with the background faded!

Once you start fiddling with it, you'll find endless ways to help get organized and save tons of time.

Attached Files

#9 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 04:27 PM

Sorta seems like the best use for like electric and all is the Modes, which keeps the electric off the drawing mode, unless you have the electric or anything else turned on via

"option"  Visible items.   

Probably everybody has a different use of layers, maybe,   I don't use layers much, just occasionally when I feel like I want to be able to turn something on and off, for 3d or something.

#10 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 December 2023 - 09:11 PM

Sorta seems like the best use for like electric and all is the Modes, which keeps the electric off the drawing mode, unless you have the electric or anything else turned on via

"option"  Visible items.   

Probably everybody has a different use of layers, maybe,   I don't use layers much, just occasionally when I feel like I want to be able to turn something on and off, for 3d or something.

That's all that "modes" are - just pre-packaged sets of layer assignments. The out-of-the-box modes are a start, but customizing with the layers panel has been a huge leap in productivity for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users