Photo

Subscription Ends so does ALL previous work!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Lodge

Bruce Lodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 02:15 PM

I'm just wondering what others are feeling as they find out that when they quit paying a subscription fee, they are no longer able to access any of the projects they have done over the years!!

This was confirmed to me today by sales.

#2 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 December 2023 - 02:34 PM

Are you saying that if you quit paying to use the program then you are no longer able to use the program that you are no longer paying to use?

Do you have your previous projects as PDF’s?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#3 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 02:35 PM

I feel as if this is similar with other subscription software services and is just the "standard" for these service types. If you are using a program like Lumion for rendering, it is only fair (and logical) that if you cancel a subscription, you lose access to the program but anything you export before canceling the subscription you can access anytime. In example with SoftPlan, it makes sense (to me at least) that the software access is turned off after canceling subscription, but any exported files can be accessed (.PDF, DWG, DXF, etc.) Also, if the project is older or is not newly created, the user still would not be able to gain access to the program. Even if there was a way to disable all features and allowing the user to enter the program and export any existing work, that seems too much of a hassle for developers to make when it is simply if a user has paid for the program or not.

#4 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 12 December 2023 - 08:42 PM

I’m glad I own ver 2022 and doubt I’ll ever upgrade, but you never know…lol

#5 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:41 AM

@Gary Wicklund,

I really do appreciate companies that still offer perpetual licenses or at least extended support for existing users not on a new subscription service, but I personally have been needing some of the new features released in 2024. If you are not seeing a benefit of the new feature set, I agree that there isn't a "need" to upgrade if you are having successful results with previous releases. I do find myself using new features more frequently than I expected and the SoftPlan+ Subscription service has provided crucial manufacturer content that allows drawings to be more 3D accurate. What I hope to see possibly is more frequent "minor" releases between "major" releases now that it is on a subscription service which is what other developers using this business model are achieving, and maybe that would be an appropriate time for you to upgrade. Either way, SoftPlan will be in my arsenal of toolsets, and I am satisfied as a subscription customer after being used to the perpetual model for years if that helps you make a future decision.  :)

#6 Bruce Lodge

Bruce Lodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 07:55 PM

What I'm saying is that sales told me that it doesn't matter if you "own" a version or just subscribe, when you quit subscribing none of the keys are going to work. So Gary are you subscribing or paying for "+"? If not and you're still using ver 2022 then they mislead me. 

I decided to trade my softplan remodel for the full blown version of 2024 this year after pondering for several years. That way I could at least use my 2024 drawings when I quit subscribing as long as I didn't get into the next version! They never billed me the difference, I just figured since they quit supporting "remodel" and by taking away softlist that they called it even. This was all before they announced that 2024 is subscription only! 

I've really enjoyed softplan and following all the gurus on here over the years, you guys are just "GREAT". I just like to hang out and belong to the group! I just turned 70 and I'm getting used to things not being what "old school" used to be lol

Have a Happy Holidays All!! 

#7 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 09:02 PM

Hi Bruce

I don’t subscribe to plus, all my work is done in ver 2022.

#8 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 December 2023 - 08:32 AM

I have been with SP since 2016.  If i stop paying for subscription what version of Softplan will i have?

#9 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 09:11 AM

I have been with SP since 2016.  If i stop paying for subscription what version of Softplan will i have?

What is the last version you owned?  Check with softplan?

#10 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 December 2023 - 09:35 AM

What is the last version you owned?  Check with softplan?

I thought i owned all of them.  I dont remember ever signing up for a subscription.  

#11 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 10:09 AM

I thought i owned all of them.  I dont remember ever signing up for a subscription.  

You probably do own them, what was the last update you paid for? Currently the only way to upgrade is the plus subscription service.

Best to get clarification from Softplan

#12 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 01:18 PM

When SoftPlan 2024 was announced, I was super excited to see the new features offered in this version. I am not sure if this is my bad memory, but I do remember stumbling upon knowing that 2024 is only subscription by navigating on to the website and it caught me by surprise (since we have had every version prior with a perpetual license). I do know that SoftPlan still offers SoftPlan+ at a lower rate for previous release users to access manufacturer content and other plus features (SoftPlan 2022 and lower), but this may have changed if I'm not mistaken. The best way for any specific support is to contact SoftPlan directly, but I agree that the SoftPlan community has been a great resource for this amazing software that has helped me with many projects and proposals throughout the years. Whether SoftPlan continues with the subscription service or offers it perpetually, I am looking forward to the improvements, suggestions, and features that are planned or are in the pipeline for future releases to better help the users that use SoftPlan to create amazing projects.

I've really enjoyed softplan and following all the gurus on here over the years, you guys are just "GREAT". I just like to hang out and belong to the group! I just turned 70 and I'm getting used to things not being what "old school" used to be lol

• David Zawadzki likes this

#13 Bruce Lodge

Bruce Lodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 09:29 PM

After talking with sales again, they finally told me that whatever the latest version that you bought is what you revert back to if you have been subscribing. So Gary your version 2022 will continue to work into the future, and all other keys that were bought will work. My timing was just bad as in I waited for 2024 to buy trading in remodel and SP made it subscription only!

Let's get back to the fun stuff lol

Happy Holidays!!

#14 Bruce Donelson

Bruce Donelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 06:34 PM

This is why I am not upgrading to 2024. If I stop subscribing to SoftPlan + (not that I am currently subscribing) any new drawings that I make will be incompatible with 2022, which is the last version that can be bought. So I would only be able to edit my older projects. I often pull a custom wall definition or detail from old work, and that would become impossible. The only alternative would be to subscribe to SoftPlan + for the rest of my life.

#15 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 23 January 2024 - 02:49 PM

I've consider this at times, switching from plus back to the regular V2022 you'll loose certain functions, for me was ResCheck export.  I provide energy reports for some customers and its much faster to export SoftPlan data then to rebuild data from scratch in ResCheck.  The thing that really frustrates me with the Plus version is it takes 2 years to work out the bugs and get the current release to work perfect and flawlessly.  Next thing you know V2026 will be available to download.  At times i feel it may be wise to stop with the current release and run with it for the remainder of my career.

• Steve and Carla Farnam and Richard Rubinski like this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#16 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 05:13 PM

SP+ Subscription Cancellation.jpg

Subscription cancellation from Softplan FAQ. The wording of the response lends to the question if the

subscription is cancelled does in then revert to the most recent version before the latest update or back

to the version just before your first Softplan+ subscription? ie; SP2024+ reverts to, as example only, SP 2014

without a plus?

#17 Steven Wohlgemuth

Steven Wohlgemuth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 23 January 2024 - 05:47 PM

If I remember correctly they told me i would go back to version 2016. That was the last version i purchased before i started the softplan+ subscription...

#18 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 24 January 2024 - 09:06 AM

I've consider this at times, switching from plus back to the regular V2022 you'll loose certain functions, for me was ResCheck export.  I provide energy reports for some customers and its much faster to export SoftPlan data then to rebuild data from scratch in ResCheck.  The thing that really frustrates me with the Plus version is it takes 2 years to work out the bugs and get the current release to work perfect and flawlessly.  Next thing you know V2026 will be available to download.  At times i feel it may be wise to stop with the current release and run with it for the remainder of my career.

Joseph, I used ResCheck July 2020 without Softplan Plus. I quess it was 2018 Version.

• Joseph Smith likes this

#19 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 24 January 2024 - 10:27 AM

Yes, your "ownership" reverts back to the last version that you fully paid for which is NOT the same as paying for Softplan +.

#20 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 01:46 PM

THIS IS DISTURBING!

Softplan + Reverts To.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users