Photo

Subscription Ends so does ALL previous work!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 24 January 2024 - 02:10 PM

Steve, will they let you purchase 2022 at the upgrade price?

Rick

#22 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 02:40 PM

Steve, will they let you purchase 2022 at the upgrade price?

Rick

Rick, I asked about purchasing upgrade to 2022, upgrades are no longer available as of launch of SP 2024. In my humble opinion, this is disturbing and i will try to refrain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO SP Upgrades Available 1-24-2024.jpg

#23 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 January 2024 - 02:49 PM

All the software companies are starting to copy each other.  It is even leaching into the game industry.  I want to know what is keeping softplan from charging us outrageous rates? I purchased in 2016... So i would have to redraw any plan i needed from scratch that i did in 2018-2024?    

#24 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 02:57 PM

All the software companies are starting to copy each other.  It is even leaching into the game industry.  I want to know what is keeping softplan from charging us outrageous rates? I purchased in 2016... So i would have to redraw any plan i needed from scratch that i did in 2018-2024?    

Allen, Yes and we would have to start from Version 2012 - 2024. We were hoping to possibly revert to version 2022 and cancel the SP+ subscription, that is now a pipe dream!

#25 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 04:00 PM

Rick, I asked about purchasing upgrade to 2022, upgrades are no longer available as of launch of SP 2024. In my humble opinion, this is disturbing and i will try to refrain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

attachicon.gif NO SP Upgrades Available 1-24-2024.jpg

2022 is still available on the website. All they would have to do is update your key for 2022, if they would let you pay the upgrade price for 2022. I didn't upgrade to Plus until about 3 months into 2022 to try and see if I liked it. I called them just before 2024 launched about cancelling Plus, but I didn't at that time and figured I could purches an upgrade to 2024 without Plus. They didn't tell me at that time that 2024 would only be subscription only, if they had I would have cancelled Plus before 2024 can out and paid the rest of the upgrade for 2022. If they won't let me finish buying 2022 upgrage I guess I'll cancel plus and go back to 2020. That's why I have only been using 2020 since 2024 came out.

#26 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 04:13 PM

2022 is still available on the website. All they would have to do is update your key for 2022, if they would let you pay the upgrade price for 2022. I didn't upgrade to Plus until about 3 months into 2022 to try and see if I liked it. I called them just before 2024 launched about cancelling Plus, but I didn't at that time and figured I could purches an upgrade to 2024 without Plus. They didn't tell me at that time that 2024 would only be subscription only, if they had I would have cancelled Plus before 2024 can out and paid the rest of the upgrade for 2022. If they won't let me finish buying 2022 upgrage I guess I'll cancel plus and go back to 2020. That's why I have only been using 2020 since 2024 came out.

Rick, The option to purchase upgrades to any version is no longer available or I would purchase the upgrade to 2022 and cancel SP+.

#27 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 04:26 PM

Curious, Was anyone notified in advance that after thge release of SP 2024 upgrades from any version would no longer be available?

Wondering if I missed the memo. Thanks

#28 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 January 2024 - 04:28 PM

Curious, Was anyone notified in advance that after thge release of SP 2024 upgrades from any version would no longer be available?

Wondering if I missed the memo. Thanks

Not that i am aware

#29 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 24 January 2024 - 06:41 PM

I am not a fan. But, need to play the game. All the subscription based software/product approach is unfriendly to the user. I understand it offers consistent revenue flow and opportunity to the developer. Pretty soon we won't be able to use our own toilet without a subscription!

• Joseph Smith likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#30 Michael Landry

Michael Landry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationEaston, Ma.

Posted 25 January 2024 - 07:34 AM

Way back when I signed up for plus, I was led to believe that a portion of my subscription 

fee was going towards the cost of owning the latest upgrade and that I would own the most

recent version when cancelling Softplan plus. Did I somehow misinterpret?

• Warren Ducote, Steve and Carla Farnam, Allen McDonnell and 1 other like this

#31 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 08:27 AM

Way back when I signed up for plus, I was led to believe that a portion of my subscription 

fee was going towards the cost of owning the latest upgrade and that I would own the most

Michael, This is what I was led to believe as well and feel sriously blind sided by the current subscription/upgrade 

options. Giving this some thought, current thoughts are not pretty.

#32 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 January 2024 - 09:18 AM

That's how it was explained to us too. We were told that once a new version was brought out, we were deemed to own the earlier one.

• Warren Ducote, Steve and Carla Farnam, Allen McDonnell and 1 other like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#33 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 25 January 2024 - 10:52 AM

Hopefully all the subscribers get 2024 once 2026 comes out, but not sure why they would rent to own especially when none of the other software companies do.

and just like Netflix the rate will go up to cover the development costs of new content!

as Mark mentioned, subscription is not friendly to the user…..

#34 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 25 January 2024 - 10:53 AM

Are you able to sell a bought copy to another user or did they block that too when 2024 came out?

#35 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:02 AM

It is interesting to see everyone's experiences with their usage of SoftPlan and the introduction of the subscription model. For years I have been used to the perpetual ownership of SoftPlan however as companies adapt to the trend of subscription services, it was only a matter of time until I figured SoftPlan would follow this sales model. I was using SoftPlan 2022 up until the release of 2024 and I stumbled upon their website to see that the perpetual license is no longer offered, and it was subscription based. Here is my perspective; I was fully prepared to buy a perpetual license of SoftPlan 2024 once it was released but when I saw the subscription service available, it caught me off guard but also gave me relief to know that I can spread out my expenses, but I was fully aware that I will not own the software if I were to ever cancel it (as with any other subscription service). I also assumed that my payments were not going towards any perpetual license of any version since I haven't seen a company do a "subscription-to-own" model before. The downside which I see a lot of users concerned with is that when you do cancel the subscription, that you lose access to the software and revert to any other previous versions (if you happen to own one). It does lend the question to the user whether or not you should adapt to a subscription model since any projects created with it can only be opened by that version or later. I do agree that the notice of subscription only was vaguely announced since I only found out by visiting the website during the release period of 2024.

I work on music production on the side and a lot of sample libraries still offer perpetual licenses which is my preference over subscription, but there are certain cases where I would consider a subscription model as beneficial. A subscription service allows the company to offer more frequent updates to the user without compromising on restricting features to certain versions. What I am hoping occurs over the months is SoftPlan releasing more mainstream features sooner than what we would only see every two years which has been the normal perpetual release schedule (SoftPlan 2020, 2022, 2024, etc.). In my opinion, SoftPlan has been modest when it comes to their current subscription price compared to some other software I am still interested in, however someone did comment and there isn't a way to "regulate" the influx of price over time because companies tend to price it based on active users and company costs. I always enjoy companies that offer both perpetual and subscription so that the user can choose what fits best for them, but each license type has its pros and cons and I know that SoftPlan will do their best as a company to balance what works for the end user. This is the first phase of switching to subscription only so maybe if SoftPlan receives enough commentary from users about bringing back perpetual, I would not see it as a gone opportunity since I have seen some companies end perpetual only to bring it back because of user request.

#36 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:28 AM

Im old school.  Simply put, I like "owning" things.  I own my house, vehicles, toys.  No loans.   Now we all will pay for a subscription for several years/decades....and when done cancel it and we will have NOTHING to show for it...other than a bunch of files we cannot access.  

• Joseph Smith and Gary Wicklund like this

#37 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 11:45 AM

Michael, I remember on the website that's the way it read. I wish I had made a screenshot. It's sad I bought Softplan in the early 90's version 5 I believe. I upgrade every year up to Version 12 which was the second verision for windows, then I started back with 2016. I think most of the forum subscribers are not big corporations. Not a 9 to 5 job. Without all of the builders and small designers from then till now Softplan wouldn't be where they are today. It's kind of a kick in the teeth if you ask me. I remember back in 94 or 95 another builder and I went to Brentwood Tennessee for one of classes that John Jones tought.

Just my 2 cents

• Steve and Carla Farnam and Gary Wicklund like this

#38 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 12:44 PM

Im old school.  Simply put, I like "owning" things.  I own my house, vehicles, toys.  No loans.   Now we all will pay for a subscription for several years/decades....and when done cancel it and we will have NOTHING to show for it...other than a bunch of files we cannot access.  

Allen we are the same, zero debt, old school in our mid 70's. Have been upgrading Softplan with every upgrade anticipating some day stopping with new plans, canceling the subscription, owning the current version and possibly selling and modifying existing plans using whatever version we then owned. As Richard mentioned we also wish we would have made a screen shot or documented the salesmans pitch for why we should move to the subscription side. Weighing the options now. Steve

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#39 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 January 2024 - 10:03 PM

You should stop paying your property taxes and then you will find out who really owns your property. Let us know what happens when you stop paying taxes on your vehicle and go for a drive.

Who was it that recently stated that we will own nothing, and like it?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#40 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 January 2024 - 10:11 PM

Michael, I remember on the website that's the way it read. I wish I had made a screenshot. It's sad I bought Softplan in the early 90's version 5 I believe. I upgrade every year up to Version 12 which was the second verision for windows, then I started back with 2016. I think most of the forum subscribers are not big corporations. Not a 9 to 5 job. Without all of the builders and small designers from then till now Softplan wouldn't be where they are today. It's kind of a kick in the teeth if you ask me. I remember back in 94 or 95 another builder and I went to Brentwood Tennessee for one of classes that John Jones tought.

Just my 2 cents

For what it is worth, Chief did the same thing last year. One minute you owned the software and could sell your copy for whatever reason and then next thing you’re told you’re only subscribing to their program and can no longer sell it.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users