6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Astuccio

Chris Astuccio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 December 2023 - 08:58 PM

I am trying to figure out the best method to creating my addition property, should i create the entire main floor including floor and ceiling, and then add in the basement/foundation, and then 2nd floor, or should i just add the walls of the main then add the basement and 2nd floor then add in the floor after. or do i start with the basement/foundation and add up from there?

#2 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:30 AM

The beauty of SoftPlan is that it is easy to do either method you are describing and essentially comes down to your basic needs. For me, I like to start with the Floor Plan first since that's the drawing I find myself making changes to the most. What is also a benefit of starting the Floor Plan first is that you are spending time on the layout which directly impacts your foundation however if this is an addition, sometimes measuring the outside foundation (if exposed) dimensionally will be a more "accurate" way to measure the building footprint. Ways in which I will consider the foundation drawings first is if the project has site specific conditions to where the foundation footprint has specific parameters to meet, and a floor plan can always be designed around that (existing or brand new). As far as technical assembly, I would add your floor system to the main drawing before adding the basement to the model since the walls in SoftPlan automatically offset to the floor system when added. If you add the basement before the floor system, the walls should still stack and offset but I like to add any objects that reference the main plan first before adding any other floors to ensure everything stacks and references accordingly, but you shouldn't have a problem any method you do.

• Chris Astuccio likes this

#3 Chris Astuccio

Chris Astuccio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 13 December 2023 - 11:43 PM

Matthew I would like to thank you a million times over, i have been playing with the program for about 100 hours including watching videos etc i have made a total of 8 attempts to try and duplicate my unique scenario. IE my house was built in the 50s when 2x4 was 2x4 lol and there is a 6" step down from the main building to the area i am putting the addition that i want to correct. And i followed your advice and now everything lines up and is works quite well. Not the program the program is awesome. I just didnt know which steps and why and now that i do thank to you it seems to be going much better so again Thank you so much for the assist.

#4 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 December 2023 - 01:30 PM

No problem, and another overall tip that many users may agree with is that SoftPlan likes to function as if you are building the structure in real life. When you go to design your walls, roofs, foundation, etc. it is always best practice to model your drawings in a way that it would be constructed. SoftPlan and the forums have many tutorials on how to create/modify custom walls, adding dormers, multi-height roofs, and many other tips/techniques that you may find yourself needing in a future project. The more specific to what you are trying to represent, the easier it becomes when constructing your drawing set and you also get a more accurate 3D model. It is cliche but sometimes asking the forums versus SoftPlan technical support may help better in a way that you are asking a pool of users who may have come across a solution to the problem you are needing. It's great to see that there is support from both development and users and this dynamic of suggestions and improvements is what makes a better software product overall. Glad I could be of help.  :D

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Chris Astuccio

Chris Astuccio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 15 December 2023 - 07:59 PM

No problem, and another overall tip that many users may agree with is that SoftPlan likes to function as if you are building the structure in real life.

Yea i was trying the basement first and build up from there, but i couldn't get the structure to fit in correctly, this particular attempt i have created the entire first floor minus ceiling, including the supports that would eventually drop down when the basement went in, and the ones for the second floor to carry up to the roof. now I am stuck trying to figure out how to create a close to flat roof, it keeps putting in gables or other strange shapes. 

pictures of what im trying to accomplish below they are to large and im hoping not to have to edit them lol 

http://proitservicem...Elevation 2.png

http://proitservicem...ation 3 (2).png

http://proitservicem...vation west.png

#6 Wesley Penner

Wesley Penner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMaricourt, QC, Canada

Posted 17 December 2023 - 05:42 AM

Don't forget that you can turn off "Gable end provided by roof" when you edit the roof edge. In the case of an almost flat roof, I would probably make the top of wall fit to the roof anyway, so no need for the roof to provide gables.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 17 December 2023 - 09:36 AM

If you want a nearly flat roof, add a roof, and edit the pitch to 0.25 (1/4" in 1'-0")

• Mike Adams likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users