#1 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 04 January 2024 - 02:02 PM

Is there a way to generate a floor system where the joists hang from an ICF wall, instead of projecting beneath the wall? 

Edward J Shannon, ArCH/NCARB/LEED GA

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 02:43 PM

easy way...use a deck and change the surface to solid.  There is another way using normal floor system...tech helped me with it on a home couple years ago but I can't remember the process now.  

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 04 January 2024 - 03:17 PM

The correct way to hang joist from the foundation wall is to go to file-project option-material dimensions-floor system options-floor system alignment- and check Inside of Innermost bearing.

SP floor alignment.png

Be sure and edit your icf wall definition to set the bearing to the correct material.

• Rick Kingsbury, RUSSELL LITTEN and John Jones like this
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 04 January 2024 - 03:22 PM

Thank You David.  I've been moving the 3 lollypops to the outside of the building then adjusting the floors to the inside of the walls.  This method will save time.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#5 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 07:38 PM

won't that method still raise the wall the thickness of the floor system?  Seems like that isn't what you would want?

#6 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 04 January 2024 - 09:59 PM

If you set the floor inside the walls, you can decide if it is sitting so the top of subfloor is set to go out over the ICF or sit inside it. If you are building a full height ICF wall (foundation and main floor) then the whole floor system would sit inside the ICF. I typically count the top of subfloor as the bottom of the wall for that drawing level. Anything below the subfloor is the level below. But, everyone has a different way of doing things.

If you are only doing a foundation, typically we would show the mudsill and subfloor above the ICF and the joists below top of ICF. It all depends on what your details are. I find unchecking clean up and being sure of my offsets helps. I also use the reference circle and a sacrificial wall set way off in the corner of my working space to reference for model heights instead of relying on the stacking of the model itself. It tends to save a lot of headaches.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users