8 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Gray

Steve Gray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA

Posted 31 January 2024 - 07:12 AM

Is there a dimension setting that will automatically provide additional dimension strings.  For example, attached is clip from the front of a garage wall.  It would be helpful to have an additional string with the overall dimension of the front of the wall?  Total 23-2 3/4. Extremely helpful visually checking dimensions between drawings.

Attached Thumbnails

• Dimension.jpg

#2 JOHN PATTERSON

JOHN PATTERSON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPowell Ohio

Posted 31 January 2024 - 07:22 AM

Don't quite understand your question. You can easily add another dimension line to achieve what you are looking for. On another note. I noticed that your overall dimensions were in fractions of an inch. I usually design in 4" increments for the exterior footprint. That helps me find discrepancies if I have an exterior dimension that is something other than a 4". Out of curiosity how many out their design to a similar design parameter?

#3 Doug Stephenson

Doug Stephenson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWinchester, Kentucky

Posted 31 January 2024 - 07:49 AM

Hi John.

I was a tradesman, framer, before getting into the building business.

Plan sets that were handed to me were typically created by someone

who had never been in the field. As a builder, the easiest builds used

4" increments in the beginning stages. Concrete block and brick, using 4"

dropped my waste considerably, and made budgets more accurate.

Sometimes it's not possible with complex footprints.

Doug

#4 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 31 January 2024 - 10:12 AM

Automatic dimension strings are goofy when anything other than a basic rectangle is drawn. I've seen where an extension line decides it is best to come off the inside of a bearing wall instead of the outside. Or, they'll adjust to the center of a wall when making changes. Or, they jump to outside of sheathing or some other odd increment. I don't trust them. I most often manually place my dimensions as I've learned not to trust the automatic dimensioning. Nice thing about that is you can put whatever string in you want based on your wall definitions and placement of extensions and dimensions.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#5 Steve Gray

Steve Gray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA

Posted 31 January 2024 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the responses.  Since there is no other option, I will start generating dimensions manually. Wish list - additional dimension feature similar to AutoCAD.  

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 31 January 2024 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the responses.  Since there is no other option, I will start generating dimensions manually. Wish list - additional dimension feature similar to AutoCAD.  

What are you specifically looking for. You can dimension anything you want...

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 31 January 2024 - 12:32 PM

Keith,

He is looking for more automated dimension string settings. He wants to be able to define a parameter that SP uses to automatically generate dimensions for a total length of a wall even when it has bump-outs or other offsets that SP just cannot seem to understand. In my experience some situations work, some do not. I personally dislike the automatic dimensions as they get messed up easily.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 02:18 PM

I think SoftPlan chose to avoid this type of automatic dimensioning since if you have a house for example with 4 changes of direction along the front fascade, how will the software determine which walls to group for total lengths? Will it do the two segments on the left and two on the right? The two in the center? SoftPlan instead dimensions each wall length separately and a total length of a fascade. It is relatively easy to just extend the dimensions from the wall offsets you prefer and add a new total dimension for that section of walls in my opinion since I also do not use the auto dimension feature most of the time and manually draw in my extension lines on my final plans from the desired wall edges and openings to have more control on my drawing rather than trying to go back in an auto dimension and do the cleanup (but the feature is still great to have for quick dimensioning).

• Wesley Penner, John Jones and David Zawadzki like this

#9 JOHN PATTERSON

JOHN PATTERSON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPowell Ohio

Posted 31 January 2024 - 03:03 PM

I usually do auto dimension then go back and edit the dimensions that I need to edit. Seems quicker that way rather than drawing a bunch of extension and dimension lines. Also, as I edit dimensions, I am also doing overlays to make sure walls are matching up from floor to floor. The last check is to view in 3D to make sure there are no discrepancies.

• David Zawadzki and Matthew Dunson like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users