#1 Paul Gsell

Paul Gsell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:56 AM

I'm moving back into doing permit sets here at work. Since the last time I've done them we've upgraded to 2016 so I've spent the last few days setting up our building standards, details, openings, etc. The last thing on the list is to get my custom borders in there. I use plan sets and I've always had trouble getting the borders to print correctly. When I did it last in 2014 I would copy and paste a "masters" folder into each drawing which contained all my notes for each page as well as the borders. When I set up my plan sets I would use the borders from this folder because I would have to go in and edit each border to get it all to show up when I plotted it. (moving top/bottom/sides) This was a major PIA and a time killer. This time I made some plan set templates and would like to reference the same borders in the "title block" folder. I'm still having the same problem with formatting though. I have lines not plot and/or the margins on left and right are different. Is this a plotter formatting problem or are there options in SP somewhere I don't know about? How do you all have yours setup?

#2 Cory Ewing

Cory Ewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

Paul - 

I have a border in the Title Block folder for each size paper that I use (Arch D, ledger, & letter) both portrait and landscape.  I used to copy a border into each project folder, but that link gets broken anytime to you relocate a project folder.  

I believe this is a tip I picked up from Bill over at Softplantuts, but I used paint lines around my border.  For the ArchD landscape border:  using paint lines I drew a box 144' wide by 96' tall which is the exact size of an Arch D page.  B/c of the paint lines, Softplan aligns my border perfectly every time.  Within that 'paint' rectangle I have the visible contents of my border.  On the left side (where I staple the plans) I have 5' b/t the paint line and my border.  The other side are roughly 3' from the paint line.  You can adjust this to fit the margins of your plotter.

#3 Paul Gsell

Paul Gsell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:23 AM

That's awesome Cory!! Thank you so much. That worked like a charm and I never would have thought of doing that. I've got them all printing perfectly now.

#4 Jonathan Barto

Jonathan Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:51 AM

I Had an issue with our border page all the time..  things like the following:

1. Names of customer not fitting correctly because they are to long

2. We use dropbox so when some else opens the file the border link file is broken and does not work.

So we works really good for us is that we have a folder where we have all our borders stored.  Then We copy the border we want to use in the current drawing folder.  Then insert it into the plan set just like a drawing.  Then you can edit things on that border for that job. 

Then with the new templates we template a ranch, or two story ect.  So it puts everything together for you.  You just may need to adjust the drawings on the page a little.

The important is not to change the name of the border page.. For example we have Parry 24x36 border,   Parry 18x24 border, ect..  

The one thing I wish we could do with plans sets is edit the drawing on the plan set.  Kinda like the old way of doing multi drawings  were..  Because it seems like on a drawings I may need to move or adjust one or 2 items so they fit an look better.   However I have to open the drawing and guess where to move it and then goto back to the plan set to see what it looks like. 

Jon

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

.... Names of customer not fitting correctly because they are to long ...

If that's a common problem, then you'll have to either:

1. Make that box on the Title block sheet BIGGER to fit the maximum size name you want to see in there,

OR

2. Make the font size for that Information stamp smaller.

There are NO other options.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Paul Gsell

Paul Gsell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Jonathan, You mentioned the fact that you had to open the drawing to adjust things and then go back to see if it looks right. One suggestion I'd encourage everyone to do is use a second monitor. I've been using two for years and I can't imagine going back to a single one. With two screens you can watch your 3d's change in real time as you make changes to the floor plan and the same would apply to your border tweaking. You would have your border drawing in one and the plan set page in the other so as you move things on the drawing you will see them move in real time on the plan set page. It also helps a lot if you do a lot of copy/paste from one drawing to another.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

I agree, couldn't imagine working on one monitor again.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#8 Jonathan Barto

Jonathan Barto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pa

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:13 AM

Paul

Thanks.  U know what's funny is I use 2 monitors..  But I never thought of having the plans set page open on the second one..    DUH!   hahah!!   Sometimes it's just the simple things.   I guess its because I usually have the 3d elevations open on the second monitor, or sometimes Im actually working on multi things.   I will def remember that one.

#9 Mike Hersker

Mike Hersker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, Indiana

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

I would love a Function to Drop a Floor Plan into Plan Sets in / on the exact same spot as the next or previous page.

So that the Floor Plans Stack just as the Sheets Stack.

#10 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

Ok, trying to evaluate again if I'll give plans sets a go. A major item that could define if it's a go or stay with multi-drawings is that I work a lot with building options and must have notes on the title pages that are connected to building options (not necessarily the same notes on every page). I see that I can add notes while in plan set and can define when adding the notes the building option layers that they're on (in the attachment example, the "Corner" note). Unfortunately, after that, if I edit the note to adjust the building option it's on, I can't. So I have to erase and add a new note every time? I know that this problem exist for profiles in 3D.

Also, why are the notes that I add and the marker size so huge compared to the rest? Taught I saw it in a post somewhere but how do I get rid of the marker and/or change its size?

Attached Thumbnails

• Plan sets.JPG

#11 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:32 AM

Yvon, the drawing scale of the Plan Sets is 1:1 so a 4" note DISPLAYS actual 4" high.

If you right click the plan in the plan set, go to edit and click the label tab. You can then turn off (uncheck) the marker and Label there.

Personally I would never add anything in the plan set itself. I go and add it to the actual drawing. I've turned OFF ALL the auto labelling. However, that's just my personal preference. I'm sure some people are working perfectly with it.

Keith

#12 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

Thanks. I was right clicking before but tried on the left column and on the plan but was getting the marker. Still not sold :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users