#1 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 March 2024 - 08:52 AM

Hello, i always have clients sending sidewalks with curves, etc.  Is there a way where i can sketch it with lines, then somehow turn those into a site object that cuts the ground?  At least that would free up the need to use a building outline to cut the grass.

Any other tips/tricks are welcome!

Thanks in advance,

allen.

Edit, attached is client changes. Hope this gives you a better idea.

Attached Thumbnails

• x1.jpg

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:25 AM

Site Mode ... DRAW > SITE WORK > SIDEWALK ... Select Method - Spline Object and give it a width.

EDIT ... Check CUTS GROUND ... FIT SITE OBJECT TO GROUND.

You can also edit individual points with adjust as necessary, and you can also ADD POLYGON EDGES.

You should be able to make any shape you wish.

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, March 1, 2024_10h23m46s.png

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:38 AM

Ok...i didnt realize you could adjust the points...specifically the flare you added at the end.  

Ill have to figure out how to "add polygon edges".  maybe later play with it.  

Thanks Keith,

allen.

#4 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 March 2024 - 09:41 AM

So it would be possible to then add the return at the end....see my sketch where i added two red lines?

I know at this point you could just do it with a normal sidewalk width.

Attached Thumbnails

• K1.jpg

#5 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:25 AM

There is a very easy way to create almost any shape into a solid polygon as long as the edges are connected. Go to Site Mode, and use the Shape tool to draw your sidewalk lines into an enclosed perimeter. This will allow you to adjust your curves exactly how you want it with just the lines. Second step is to go to Tools, then select 'Add/Remove Selection'. This will allow you to select all the edges of your created lines into a single polygon as long as they are all connected. Once you select the last line, select 'Form Polygon' and then it will enclose it into a shape polygon. Third step is to go to Tools again, select 'Convert Shape To Site Line'. Select Sidewalk and then click on your newly created polygon from the previous steps. This will turn your enclosed polygon into a 3D sidewalk that is to the shape that you created which then you can cut the ground with and show in 3D. I use this method to create complex geometrical patterns and more precise radius measurements since the spline tool is useful but not in a context where you need more precision and the ability to add the return you are trying to do. This method is great for all shapes of sidewalks, curbs and even roads, hopefully this helps.

• Tim Kenyon, Bernard Toews, Wesley Penner and 1 other like this

#6 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 01 March 2024 - 10:29 AM

This is great...thanks for chiming in Matthew!

allen.

• Matthew Dunson likes this

#7 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 11:03 AM

With 2024 maybe 2022, this got really easy to just select and  outline the sidewalk or drive using spline for all and change some of the spline segments to straight

And yes you can adjust those segment spots and also adjust the middle of the segment, around, it has gotten pretty quick for drives and sidewalks now

Using the spline for the drives and sidewalks and roads, etc. gives you all kind of options to cut the grass, slope with grade, etc.

what used to be a little fight is now quick and easy

• David Zawadzki likes this

#8 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 03:50 PM

To be fair, the solution proposed by Matthew is the most accurate, but the original post did say "Is there a way where i can sketch it with lines, then somehow turn those into a site object that cuts the ground?". I agree the spline solution is not necessarily the most accurate, but is definitely the quickest.

• Matthew Dunson likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 02 March 2024 - 03:53 PM

Do you not use "ADD POLYGON EDGES"?

You should try it, it's one of my most used commands. Every polygon - Roofs, floors, area's etc. can be adjusted quickly. In most cases the only other way is delete something and recreate it.

Keith

#10 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 March 2024 - 07:31 AM

Haven't used "add polygon edges"  yet, I'll investigate thanks, at some point.

Seems the old style of doing a drive and polygon and property was to draw then you have to right click make a poly, or something like that.

The polys years back seem to have a hard time joining for me.  

Drives used to take some work now with the improvements a drive for me is about 3 minutes.

#11 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 09:40 AM

The method I explained above, I actually found out on accident by using the "Add/Remove Selection' tool. I was needing to group some objects that were clustered together, and this allowed me to individually select the objects I wanted in one selection, but I saw the settings in the toolbar changed and it was a matter of trial and error. I'm not sure if this tool is further explained in the manual but it has many useful features. The spline tool is fantastic for quick sketching, and it also doesn't require the additional steps to get it into an enclosed polygon since you are drawing with the site line that automatically turns into 3D. My most useful case scenario for the manual line method for site polygons is if I get site drawings with roads, curbs and sidewalks that are dimensioned with a certain radius, I can either convert the .PDF lines into a solid polygon and convert or draw new ones on top to make a 3D model of the site conditions. SoftPlan has so many tools that I am still learning every day how to use to its potential.

#12 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 05 March 2024 - 12:16 AM

You can also enter surveyor coordinates manually.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users