• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eli Esh

Eli Esh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 01:13 PM

Is there a way to create a plan set w/ different page sizes? Such as having some drawings on one page size & others on another size? 

Probably something that most people, including myself would hardly use, but I'm exploring my options for certain types of projects.

#2 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:15 AM

It might, I didn't try, but I just create a Planset 2  when I need a different size page for like maybe a site plan, which our county requires

• David Zawadzki likes this

#3 Eli Esh

Eli Esh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:32 AM

That's the way I was doing it so far, but wanted to export everything as one PDF, if possible.

#4 Steve Haarmann

Steve Haarmann

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 10:54 AM

I think you will have to make separate pdf files for the different sizes.

Using Adobe Acrobat or Nitro Pro or another pdf program you can extract and insert to make a final file with different sizes.

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 March 2024 - 10:59 AM

The Page size is set in the planset setup, so I can't see how you could change page sizes within the planset.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 11:22 AM

I have also needed to do this and ended up exporting individual .pdf files and merging them with Adobe Acrobat. The nice thing about it is that you can order the drawings how you want it and export it as one .pdf. It would be cool for SoftPlan to have these options integrated into the program, but the service already exists so that's probably why it hasn't been a feature.

#7 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

When I "right click" on a plan set page it gives the option to change Page Orientation, Border, Margins, Watermark, Page Number, and Color. Not interested in messing with it to see what it does to the current project I am working on, but seems those are the options for individual plan set pages.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#8 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 01:35 PM

Yes, each plan set page can have its own individual borders applied to it which is useful for detail and spec sheets that may have changed title blocks. However, each page will remain the same sheet size as the plan set it's contained in regardless of these settings that are changed within the page.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#9 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 20 March 2024 - 07:48 AM

How would you print a plan set with different page sizes? On my printer I would have to change the roll out to print a different size page, if the smaller page was say page 3 of 6 that would be a pain.

I normally use a 2nd plan set for 8 1/2 x 11 or 11 x17 to print to a different printer or export to pdf.

#10 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 20 March 2024 - 09:29 AM

If really needing to print to a PDF in one plan set, I would think changing the border for those smaller pages might work. It would still print out on the same size sheet when printing to physical paper, but could then be trimmed to size?? And, with the PDF it probably is easier to merge different size sheets, but it could be handled the same way within a PDF program that allows editing of sheet sizes for individual pages.

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#11 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 March 2024 - 01:08 PM

I would approach it exactly as Mark is saying if you only are using one printer but need different sheet sizes. An 11x17 border will scale down on a 22x34 plan set with blank space around the edges since it is at a smaller scale. Just keep note that when you add your drawings, your scale will be dependent on the plan set and not the border. For instance, if I have a 22x34 Plan Set with 1/4" Scale floor plan, if I use an 11x17 border (half size of 22x34) your drawing will be doubled in scale so you would need to use an 1/8" scale to correctly represent a 1/4" scale on a 11x17 border if your plan set is 22x34. This is where it gets more complicated with using borders that are not proportionally scaled to the plan set so I would always recommend creating the new plan set with the proportional scale to border size. Most printers will allow you to print smaller sheet sizes on larger paper so depending on the settings, your large format printer should print 8.5x11 sheets on large paper but ensure you have 'Fit to Page' or the scaling feature on the printer settings disabled to have it print true to scale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users