4 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 07:40 AM

Think I'm having a Senior Moment...can't figure this out. How do I clean up this triangular gap at the top of the stair?

Attached Files

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 07:46 AM

don't know that you can get rid of it but you can change it to a bullnose in the edit menu.

#3 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 10 April 2024 - 08:48 AM

Wouldn’t you have a support wall there to hold up the joists at the top of the stairs?

And bullnose on the treads would look good.
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#4 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:46 AM

I have run into the same issue where I was needing the stringer to extend to the bottom of the joist for a certain project even though how it is represented in your example would have a lower wall or a support member underneath, so I was instructed to change the stair to a deck stair which will remove the top filler piece of the tread to where your last step becomes the top of the floor system. You will have to adjust the height accordingly, but it allows you to make your stringer extend to the edge of the rim joist if your project requires that.

• Rick Kingsbury likes this

#5 Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 12:59 PM

I have run into the same issue where I was needing the stringer to extend to the bottom of the joist for a certain project even though how it is represented in your example would have a lower wall or a support member underneath, so I was instructed to change the stair to a deck stair which will remove the top filler piece of the tread to where your last step becomes the top of the floor system. You will have to adjust the height accordingly, but it allows you to make your stringer extend to the edge of the rim joist if your project requires that.

Thank you Matthew! That works perfectly - and is a much better answer than the one I got from tech support.  Takes a slight recalculation of the riser heights and number, but it creates the look I want in 3D.

• Matthew Dunson likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users