#21 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:30 AM

A question for you Warren: do you put all your different items on their own layers AFTER you have drawn everything or have you changed each symbol/ wall/ etc. definition to put them where you want them?

I generally place items on a layer well into the drawing. Like Plumbing Fixtures, I will at some point click a toilet or something, place it on the Plumbing Fixture Layer and then hit repeat edit an start clicking all of the plumbing fixtures. For Cabinets, at some point, I will right click and pick Add Group Selection and this will highlight all Cabinets. Then I change all Cabinets to their own layer. Most items can be left on their default layer like walls and openings. But items like Room Names, Detail Notes and other items that I do not want on any other Modes but for the Main Floor Plan, I place them on a Layer called "Main Drawing". For a note that I want to only show up on my foundation drawing, I place them on "Foundation Mode Notes". All of my Layers are placed in alphabetical order except for the three or four that I use most often and they are all at the top of the list

#22 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:32 AM

Warren, Have you though about turning ON "No Print" for layers like INVISIBLE ITEMS, just to ensure they are actually INVISIBLE?

Layers work great for me when it comes to placing only the items I want on a drawing in any given mode. I might add that most of my layers have a distinctive color. In my case cabinets are green, plumbing is pink, main drawing notes are blue, electrical underground is light brown and so forth. Makes seeing and finding items much easier. I also print my plans in color.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#23 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:56 AM

This is a pic of my Plumbing Mode. Plumbing Fixtures including stub outs are on their own layer (Pink). House foundation outline is on its own layer (Brown). Plumbing dimensions are on their own layer (A green that is different that drawing dimensions). Electrical underground and their dimensions are own their own layer (Light Brown and Light Green). 

By using layers like I do, if I wanted to, I could show my plumbing fixtures in Roof Mode or Cabinets in Foundation Mode. I can draw an object ONE TIME and have it show up in any mode that I want it to be seen. 

If you set up Mode Visibilities in System Options for each and every Mode (Example - Plumbing Mode - Layers that are visible - Foundation Outline, Plumbing Fixtures, Plumbing Dimensions, Electrical Underground, Electrical Underground Dimensions and Plumbing Mode Notes.) You only have to set this up once and after that, every future drawing will have these layers visible on whatever mode you choose. One time set up. It may sound complicated but in reality, it makes thing very easy and very time saving.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture2.JPG

#24 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 08 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Warren. Your system makes sense. One of my frustrations with "default" has been too many disparate items being grouped together and so lose control of what can be shown or not. I may have to look more closely at doing this.

• Jim Johnson likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drawing Modes, Layers, floor system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users