29 replies to this topic

#1 Jared Schrempp

Jared Schrempp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 02 July 2019 - 07:09 AM

I'm in the process of converting from Autocad to Softplan and have questions regarding drawing modes. We currently provide three different types of foundation plans.

1. Foundation plan showing all ext. walls and bearing walls.

2. Lower lever plan showing the future interior walls.

3. Floor joist plan showing the floor truss system over the foundation plan.

See attached files.

I'd obviously like to be able to produce these three plans from one main drawing. Will I be able to do this using drawing modes or should I just use layers to turn things on and off? I've messed around with visible items a couple times but it doesn't let me be very selective when it comes to dimensions and openings. 

Next question- How do I show the floor truss system over the foundation rather then the main level? I'd prefer to not have to generate drawing since it's not active and we are constantly making changes. I would appreciate any input. 

Thank you!

Attached Files

• Adam Marquart likes this

#2 Jared Schrempp

Jared Schrempp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:34 AM

Another follow up question. Is there a way in plan sets to change which layers display and which ones do not on each individual sheet?

#3 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:49 AM

On the follow up question, You have to make layer changes in the drawing you are printing.  In plan sets you can't change anything in the drawings, so you have to set up each drawing before printing.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:23 AM

You should be able to do it all with modes on the same drawing, with one exception, typically the floor system is drawn underneath the floor it's on. A workround would be to draw it as a CEILING on the lower floor.

You would use MODES not layers to control the display on the planset.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Jared Schrempp

Jared Schrempp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 11:17 AM

Is there a way to to move items you have drawn on one mode to another mode without redrawing them? 

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:05 PM

You'd think there would be wouldn't you? Even cutting and pasting, pastes back in the mode it was in, so that doesn't work either!

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#7 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:05 AM

There really should be a method of changing the MODE for an item. Exactly the same as changing a layer or a building option. Putting something in on a wrong mode is probably common. Having to recreate it instead of moving it is a complete waste of time.

Keith

#8 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

Seems to work for me.

Draw in opt. 1.

Copy to SP clipboard.

Activate opt. 2, and make it current.

past from SP clipboard.

Check that it is on opt. 2 and it was.

Double checked it and it does seem to work.

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:33 PM

MODE not OPTION ... Try put some text in the ROOF MODE, and try and get it in ROOM MODE.

Keith

#10 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 03 July 2019 - 03:01 PM

Sorry.  Using the forum as a diversion from a difficult project (3 infact) didn't read the fine print.

• Brian Bradner likes this

#11 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:34 AM

I place everything on Layers. Everything!! From there using "Mode Visibilities" I can then have ANY Layer display in ANY Mode.  Once you learn how to use Layers and Mode Visibilities, you can make Plan Sets a snap!

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

• Gary McKeon, Dan Turner, Steve and Carla Farnam and 1 other like this

#12 David Bearss

David Bearss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationHood River, Oregon

Posted 11 July 2019 - 05:58 PM

I can see that Warren. As a SoftPlan newbie but experienced other CAD, the Mode Visibilities is similar to layer groups or view types. That is quite an impressive list of layers you have. I will keep that in mind as I get more proficient.

#13 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 July 2019 - 10:49 AM

I draw my foundation plan with the concrete foundation walls on one drawing and then go into ceiling mode to add the floor joists above it for the first floor. Then I do create a second file that I call basement. In this file I use overlay to show the foundation walls. In turn after I create this, I add the basement as an overlay on the foundation plan as well. In the basement file I draw the finished basement walls and also the electrical plan. I find this displays better in my plan sets having an optional finished basement drawing separate.

• David Zawadzki likes this

#14 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:22 AM

I place everything on Layers. Everything!! From there using "Mode Visibilities" I can then have ANY Layer display in ANY Mode.  Once you learn how to use Layers and Mode Visibilities, you can make Plan Sets a snap!

THAT looks like a pretty comprehensive list for controlling the drawing....a piece at a time.  Sketch Up pretty much made me a believer.  Thanks Warren!

Dan Turner, CPBD

#15 Jared Schrempp

Jared Schrempp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

The problem with this is that there are only 5 custom modes available to setup and it seems like there are some visibilities that are not adjustable for the existing drawing modes. In roof mode for example, you can't change the way the walls or openings display. You can turn them on or off but the way they appear is different than the default mode. Unless I'm missing something?

#16 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:26 PM

Not sure what you are asking but walls on their own Layer can be turned off are on in Roof Mode

#17 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 01:29 PM

Not sure what you are asking but walls on their own Layer can be turned off or on in Roof Mode

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG
  • Capture 2.JPG
  • Capture 3.JPG

• Allen McDonnell likes this

#18 Gary McKeon

Gary McKeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationSilverton Oregon

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:15 PM

A question for you Warren: do you put all your different items on their own layers AFTER you have drawn everything or have you changed each symbol/ wall/ etc. definition to put them where you want them?

#19 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:13 PM

You must have a very ordered way of drawing Warren. I'm pretty sure I'd have everything all over the place layer wise. Although I did seem to get it right in Autocad, but I've never attempted to be that regimented in Softplan.

Keith

#20 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:16 PM

Warren, Have you though about turning ON "No Print" for layers like INVISIBLE ITEMS, just to ensure they are actually INVISIBLE?

Keith

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Drawing Modes, Layers, floor system

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users