5 replies to this topic

#1 Iris Pooyim

Iris Pooyim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 02:25 PM

Hello

I have a model of a 2-storey house with a front-facing attached garage. The garage sits about 2' lower than the 1st floor. As a result, the 2nd floor walls do not attach to the garage walls. There is an awkward gap between the garage roof and the bottom of the 2nd floor walls. Is there a way to "split" the 2nd storey walls and attach the bottoms to the top of the garage walls? I have attached a picture for more clarification. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!  :D

Attached Files

#2 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:06 PM

I believe that if you click on the second floor wall and edit it you can check it to fit bottom to roof.  depending on where you did your  garage roof you should be able to get it

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#3 Dennis Hilborn

Dennis Hilborn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  • LocationDFW Texas

Posted 18 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

I don't know if this is the best way but I would break the side garage walls into two pieces and the back piece would be 2' taller than the front.  Then add a 2' wall across the top of the garage that goes thru the attic.

And then after I'd done that there would probably be some tinkering to make it all work right.  The might be a way to offset the bottom of the upper front wall, I haven't worked with that yet.

And if Tom's suggestion works then that's probably going to be a much cleaner fix.

#4 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 18 June 2018 - 05:48 PM

If the "fit bottom to roof " doesn't work, I'd just offset the upper wall down 2'-0" ish (obviously whatever is needed), and add that 2' (plus the floor thickness) to the height. A lot depends on how critical you need material takeoffs to be.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#5 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 08:19 AM

I think the question should be, how this is going to be built? We draw the way it is built whenever possible. Fitting the bottom of the wall to roof should work for 3D purposes but will not reflect the way this will be built and count materials accurately.

From what I see in the image, the garage walls on the sides should be broken in-line with the second floor wall and extend up to support the second floor's floor system. The roof can still wrap around the side for aesthetics.

Across the front of the second floor there will likely be a short wall that will be supported by a beam across the width of the garage. Within the garage the ceiling will step up beneath the second floor extension.

If you are still having trouble putting it all together, please send us a support ticket and we can take a closer look. Be sure to explain the method in which you expect it to be built.

• John Jones and like this

#6 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:11 AM

I don't think that the side garage wall is on the same plane as the upper floor wall, so that wouldn't work. I think the upper floor is narrower than, but symmetrical with the garage. It looks like the front and both side upper floor walls walls are probably carried on beams over the garage, and therefore there should be a knee (pony) wall over the beams, then the floor, and then the upper floor walls.

As Brent said (and as I've said many times) draw it the same way it will be built.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: roof, walls, connection, intersection, roof return, garage, 2-storey, front attached

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users