#1 Edward Shannon

Edward Shannon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, Iowa

Posted 07 October 2021 - 01:06 PM

I had an accident which resluted in several broken ribs and a broken shoulder. These are all on my right, dominant side. I am wondering if Soft Talk would be of any use? From the demo vidio, it appears as if one still has to use a mouse with it. I would like to hear general thoughts on Soft Talk, whether it in itself is a worthwhile investment? Also any thoughts on not beinb able to use the mouse with my reight, dominant hand?

Edward J Shannon, ArCH/NCARB/LEED GA

#2 Verlin Klassen

Verlin Klassen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationBirnie, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:05 PM

I feel like I have given SoftTalk an honest try numerous times over the years and have always had to give up on it, because it would work really well for about half an hour and then quit responding. It may be a Microsoft issue, but in any case, the last time I tried it, it still did not work as it should. I have instead gone to KnowBrainer software, and am very happy with it. While you can do your right and left click commands by voice, you do still need to use the mouse. If you want to know more about it, I would be happy to talk about it.

Verlin Klassen

Westman Drafting

#3 Grant Krull

Grant Krull

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:58 PM

I typically keep a trackball on the left side of my desk . They are much easier to control with your non-dominant hand

#4 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:07 PM

When Soft Talk is working, it is great.

It seems to get tired after a bit and it goes to sleep so what I do is use it to edit dimensions right after sketching the layout.  I love being able to just click on a dimension and say 16'-4" and it changes.  Saves a bunch of time when getting started on a new project.

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#5 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 03 November 2021 - 07:44 AM

I've had SoftTalk since my beginning with SP never really used it.............I decided that mumbling back to the voices in my head is too much.

• Mark Petri, Jim Johnson, Keith Almond and 2 others like this

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#6 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:41 PM

On the product page for the Softplan page under SoftTalk

"Effective 1/1/2022 SoftTalk is no longer available for purchase."

John....what's the next step for those that paid into the product...including myself.   Is there something on the horizon that will replace the older version of SoftTalk with a better product for voice recognition?

Dan Turner

Conyers, Ga

• David Zawadzki likes this

Dan Turner, CPBD

#7 Warren Ducote

Warren Ducote

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMontgomery, Texas

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:53 PM

NO

#8 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 18 January 2022 - 09:10 AM

On the product page for the Softplan page under SoftTalk

"Effective 1/1/2022 SoftTalk is no longer available for purchase."

John....what's the next step for those that paid into the product...including myself.   Is there something on the horizon that will replace the older version of SoftTalk with a better product for voice recognition?

Dan Turner

Conyers, Ga

Has anyone called support or sales about this yet?

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#9 Bill Wimberley

Bill Wimberley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSan Angelo, TX

Posted 18 January 2022 - 10:48 AM

Dan, you rabble rouser! I have used SoftTalk successfully in the past. But stopped because after a couple hours the headphone/microphone hurt my ear. After I started using keyboard shortcuts extensively I became much faster with shortcuts than with SoftTalk.
When I was using SoftTalk I made extensive modifications to more closely match how I was working. For example, I customized it to respond to "Damn It" instead of Undo. Openings responded to custom names such as "three oh exterior" or "two six interior".

• Gary McKeon and Dan Turner like this

#10 Dan Turner

Dan Turner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationConyers, Georgia

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:23 PM

Dan, you rabble rouser! I have used SoftTalk successfully in the past. But stopped because after a couple hours the headphone/microphone hurt my ear. After I started using keyboard shortcuts extensively I became much faster with shortcuts than with SoftTalk.
When I was using SoftTalk I made extensive modifications to more closely match how I was working. For example, I customized it to respond to "Damn It" instead of Undo. Openings responded to custom names such as "three oh exterior" or "two six interior".

Nah..l'm just hoping that SoftPlan has something in the works because for the entire ownership period for me....and others here and around the forum, 30 minutes is the limit before it falls out.

If SoftPlan just had a training session...if that's something to assist...I'm there.  

If there was a document on set up or troubleshooting....I'd download it all to set up my last workstation which is less than a year old....and pretty much updated on everything in OS and driver.  However when I posted twice to Support+ with regards to two different projects where SoftTalk sputtered out at the dreaded 30 minute mark (wherein I could go for another 30 minutes if I rebooted) the response has been "we'll send your comments along to Development."

John offered to refund me when he called my office after I blistered the product.  I told him to keep the money and just fix the situation as for 30 minutes...I have a better flow with work when SoftTalk is alive and kicking and I've got my commands in memory.

IN short...the product does fail.  If it's not failing, then everyone with a stalled project has a common issue with their set up.  But as the common train of failure with those I've read with comments and complaints....SoftTalk stops taking commands within 30 minutes of starting work.

We're in the dark here for a friggin' CAD program that used to come with a manual that was hundreds of pages thick.  Even SoftList has a separate manual for all things involved with producing materials lists and valuations.  With SoftTalk....we pretty much have nothing!  No one in support to work with; no set up information or training sessions to show myself and others what I'm doing wrong as I'm more than willing to attend any support session to work through the individual problems if indeed the premise is that SoftTalk works fine....and that the problem exists solely with the users.

It's either they've thrown in the towel at the $$loss to members that bought the sales pitch.....or they have a new version to present which would make the increase in monthly fees a bit more palatable since no one at SoftPlan is taking ownership of this problem.

Paying good money for bad software is not what I expect from SoftPlan given my investment since I took possession of my first version quite some time ago.  I think I've seen SoftTalk and that squirrely headset advertised for a couple of decades now....however I never seem to read any threads about SoftTalk unless they deal with the problems that still exist today.  If they have a replacement to release...they would do SoftTalk owners a favor to let us know and not just let the product die with the checkered history that appears to be common to any SoftTalk thread I've started or visited.

I use a nice Koss headset.  However....you have to buy a new set every so often as the cushion coverings rot away and leave you with an earful of debris and a painful experience with the plastic frame spring loaded against yor' ears there bubba!

• David Zawadzki likes this

Dan Turner, CPBD

#11 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 20 January 2022 - 05:21 PM

My Koss SB/49 headphones sit faithfully on the corner of my desk waiting for the word from tech support we are looking forward to... it works!

Is it wrong to be so optimistic?

• Dan Turner likes this

Softplan user since 1989

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SoftTalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users