• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Gradison

Mark Gradison

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 11:17 AM

Does anyone know how to create a gable end like shown in the photo? 

Attached Files

#2 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 20 December 2021 - 12:30 PM

Few different ways i'm sure. My procedure below.

I used a secondary roof planes with higher heel, trace roof hole from the main roof around face wall and deselect cleanup on the wall.  I used a custom wall for the upper wall w/stone on inside and outside so it covers the wall ends.  I also use a custom beam rather then stone cap on the upper custom wall because the custom wall cap stupidly stops short of the wrapping stone. (fit beams to raised roof planes then deselect cleanup on those custom beams)

Once you're happy with the look, deselect cleanup everywhere just for safety then delete the raised roof plane.

You appear to be a new SP user so prepare yourself or a little trial and error to get it to work perfectly.

That sure is a beautiful look you're going for!!

Attached Files

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#3 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 21 December 2021 - 12:10 PM

Joseph, have you tried the Parapet Wall feature in 2022?

#4 Joseph Smith

Joseph Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 21 December 2021 - 01:00 PM

No.  i've never had the need to do a parapet wall, perhaps it'll work in Marks situation.

Joseph A. Smith

http://granitedesigngroup.com

#5 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 22 December 2021 - 07:41 AM

I just thought you might have experimented with it.

#6 Brendan Smythe

Brendan Smythe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

Few different ways i'm sure. My procedure below.

I used a secondary roof planes with higher heel, trace roof hole from the main roof around face wall and deselect cleanup on the wall.  I used a custom wall for the upper wall w/stone on inside and outside so it covers the wall ends.  I also use a custom beam rather then stone cap on the upper custom wall because the custom wall cap stupidly stops short of the wrapping stone. (fit beams to raised roof planes then deselect cleanup on those custom beams)

Once you're happy with the look, deselect cleanup everywhere just for safety then delete the raised roof plane.

You appear to be a new SP user so prepare yourself or a little trial and error to get it to work perfectly.

That sure is a beautiful look you're going for!!

Joseph, how did you get your illustrated look in your rendering examples? You must have changed the settings to get it to look softer, could you share those settings?

Thank you!

#7 Fred Dickson

Fred Dickson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:44 PM

Attached File  Plan View .jpg   30.47KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Rendered View.jpg   121.1KB   1 downloadsYou could also use a beam (hidden and not displayed) for your gable roof reference with no overhang and use a solid masonry wall.  I used the brick retaining wall.  Then adjust the brick wall with top of wall edit.  

• Chris Proost and Mike Adams like this

#8 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:54 PM

You can also set the gable to a negative overhang, so it can still reference the gable parapet and sit behind the wall.

• Mike Adams likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 January 2022 - 07:19 PM

Joseph, how did you get your illustrated look in your rendering examples? You must have changed the settings to get it to look softer, could you share those settings?

Thank you!

Joe already shared his settings in this https://softplan.com...ode/#entry22413 thread.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gable, parapet, modern, contemporary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users