9 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 11:56 AM

Ever since I upgraded to -22 I have been having trouble with openings showing through on the floor plans above or below whenever they are offset above or below the level of the wall. I imagine this is for reference on the other plans but I don't always want this. For example here I have some windows on the second floor plan in the gable that are showing through to the first floor.

Attached File  MAIN FLOOR.jpg   63.05KB   1 downloads

This interferes with the patio door and windows below, but they are slightly dimmed out and can't be edited at all. What am I missing?

• Richard VanEk likes this

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 10 March 2022 - 12:20 PM

They should only show if OVERLAY is turned on. Mine is set as CTRL-O, but I've customised so much that I can't remember if that is original or not.

Just turn overlay off.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Henry Buckner

Henry Buckner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 01:10 PM

That's what I thought at first, but I've never seen opening sizes show upon overlay before.

#4 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 01:53 PM

You shouldn't have a second floor over that Great Room (normally).  The wall should be "fit to roof or ceiling" and the upper windows offset up on the first floor plan.  Make them hidden.  Show the details in an elevation view.  

#5 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 02:10 PM

Overlay is not on. I turned it on and off and it didn't change the windows. I usually show these windows on the second-floor plan (if there is one) to display the window sizes.

Attached File  SECOND FLOOR.jpg   53.18KB   0 downloads

In this case I was planning to do a detail anyway so I could do the "fit to roof thing". However, I would still like a solution because I have had situations where this wouldn't have worked.

#6 Jim Johnson

Jim Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 03:28 PM

You have to remember to draw it as it will be built.  I don't remember ever drawing a window to extend below the bottom of the wall.  It would mean that the bottom plate for the second floor wall and the top plates for the first floor wall would not be continuous.  That would not be a structurally sound wall in my opinion.  Also, if it is drawn as it will be built, SoftPlan will do a pretty good job generating line drawings to use for your details.

• David Zawadzki and Wendall Hilty like this

#7 Philip Frank

Philip Frank

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationMaine, USA

Posted 11 March 2022 - 06:53 AM

Try turning this off.

Attached Files

• Joseph Smith, Richard Rubinski and Wendall Hilty like this

#8 Wendall Hilty

Wendall Hilty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 March 2022 - 07:43 AM

Thanks for your input, Jim. I agree that the wall will be one wall and not two walls on top of each other. However, I do find it to be faster and easier doing it this way since I don't have to put the windows on layers that I have to turn on and off as I make changes. Philip's solution solved the problem. This is exactly what I was looking for and I can't believe I missed it. Thanks!

#9 Chris Proost

Chris Proost

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 11 March 2022 - 02:43 PM

I've gotten those on my foundation plan where it shows the garage door opening from the Main Floor plan. Drives me nuts because you can't erase it or move it. You have to break the wall and then erase the portion with the faded opening. 

#10 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 09:23 AM

Is there a way to turn off the cross openings permanently?  This is new for 2022 and horribly annoying.  If I want a cross, I'll draw one

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: openings, window, door, grayed out, showthrough, floor plan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users