Photo

Placing windows in walls that go between a floor level.

Windows openings Stairs on exterior walls

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationKelowna BC

Posted 14 September 2023 - 01:05 PM

I an wondering if anyone has discovered if the latest version(s) of Softplan have addressed the issue of windows that match the rise of a stair placed against an exterior wall.

The bottom of the top (and maybe more) window usually starts on the lower level while the top of that window "passes" thru the floor system and into the upper level.

This is not possible if you have two walls separated by your floor system.

My solution has been to draw a wall on the lower level the height which includes the floor and upper level wall and then eliminate the wall on the second level at that location and draw lines to show the wall so it will print.

I draw all the windows on the lower level, adjusting their elevations as required and draw any windows going thru to the upper level as dashed. In elevation (after I have generated it) I also have to ensure that my stair opening at that location does not include the subfloor or rim joist as they go right thru the window.. that process is a real trial and error as if the opening comes too far past the wall it "cuts' the window too.

It's a tedious process and doesn't  allow me to fully use Softplan's BIM capabilities. I was hoping that with the changes for such things as stairs being drawn once and now being "included" on all levels that there might also be something for being able to place windows in a similar manner.

Any input appreciated.

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 14 September 2023 - 01:19 PM

You can place the windows and then clean up the affected wall above or below to allow it to cut the wall. Typically though, the walls with such windows in a staircase would be framed full height. So, I would argue the way you explain you are doing it is better. The only thing that would improved that is you could draw a wall (must have same top plate height or total height for roofs to work correctly) and any windows that you show in your lower wall, but set them to not extract in 3D. Just remember to update the windows if you make changes on the lower level that they match to. In either case a floor system should not be there, and will show through any windows that are in that elevation.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted 14 September 2023 - 01:37 PM

I do it similar to Mark's description because that wall will be required to be framed full height.  I draw the wall on the main level and edit for the correct height to reach the second floor top plate.  When it comes to placing windows I have set up three different building options labeled "low", "middle", and "high".  I have found that if I place the "high" windows and edit them to the correct elevation, I can then turn that building option off and it makes it much easier to place and edit the lower windows.  Once they are all in place I can then turn the building options back on in order for them to show up in 3d.  I go ahead and draw the walls and windows on the upper floor plan and edit them to "not extract in model".  There may very well be an easier way but I have found this system to work good for me.

• Mark Petri, Myron Edwards and David Zawadzki like this

#4 Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationKelowna BC

Posted 15 September 2023 - 11:12 AM

Mark, it sounds like you and I are on the same page. You've eliminated one "step" by extracting the windows from 3D so I'll try that to see if I can achieve the correct elevation in my plan set.

Dennis....I've never taken the time to "learn" or "master" the different building options feature...me BAD. Just getting the drawings done and moving onto the next one takes up my days. If it works as I think it does and from what little I've read it would achieve what I want to do and probably easier. Thankfully this situation doesn't happen that often so I can continue to be "lazy" and not learn about using building options. Perhaps someday it will slow down for me.

Thank you both for your responses, its good to know that I am in good company with this situation and approaching it in a similar way.

#5 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 15 September 2023 - 12:41 PM

Here’s a quick video that should pique your interest in using building options…

https://youtube.com/...uksGMg0OavdlebZ
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows, openings, Stairs on exterior walls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users