22 replies to this topic

#1 Neil Dickenson

Neil Dickenson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand.

Posted 17 September 2023 - 04:48 PM

I've upgraded every 2 yrs since 2012. So I'm very disappointed that the subscription model is the only way to upgrade this year. 

as a builder that designs and builds own homes and getting a bit long in the tooth I would like to continue using the current version 

even though I don't wish to keep upgrading. 

According to the SoftPlan Subscription FAQs

Failure to pay the monthly subscription fee terminates access to the SoftPlan software, all modules, and the SoftPlan+ cloud services.
This is very disappointing. Having paid Approx $18,000 over the years to think if I went to the subscription model that would all be taken away if I stopped paying into the future.
Shame on you Softplan.

• Michael Landry, RUSSELL LITTEN and Richard Rubinski like this

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 06:05 PM

so just stick with the version you have now and don't upgrade

#3 Allen McDonnell

Allen McDonnell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 957 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 September 2023 - 07:09 AM

Subscription doesnt bother me too much...its the lack of updates.  Where once i was excited about "pools" that has since left b/c it pulled resources from developing more important features and also eliminating bugs.

#4 Thomas Davis

Thomas Davis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationOrange Park, Florida

Posted 18 September 2023 - 03:18 PM

Neil,

I believe  you are mis-interpreting here.
I have always been told that with a subscription you get all upgrades, etc., but if you stop paying the subscription, the program would default back to the last version you had when you switched to the subscription based  program.

Please verify with SoftPlan for the details though.

#5 Neil Dickenson

Neil Dickenson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand.

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:45 PM

Neil,

I believe  you are mis-interpreting here.
I have always been told that with a subscription you get all upgrades, etc., but if you stop paying the subscription, the program would default back to the last version you had when you switched to the subscription based  program.

Please verify with SoftPlan for the details though.

Thanks Thomas
Softplans website FAQ states the following. "Failure to pay the monthly subscription fee terminates access to the SoftPlan software, all modules, and the SoftPlan+ cloud services."

Also if one was to start the subscription all projects started in that version would not be able to be run under the previous version if for any reason one couldn't continue with the subs.

I've always kept up with the latest versions but I guess that's the end of the line for me. I just hope that sometime in the future they don't pull the plug and disable my key.  

• RUSSELL LITTEN likes this

#6 John Jones

John Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 116 posts

Posted 19 September 2023 - 07:23 AM

This FAQ is referring to SoftPIan subscriptions for new users not existing users that subscribe to Softplan +. Please reach out to sales and they will walk you through it.
  • Thomas Davis likes this

#7 Gary Anderson

Gary Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBisamrck, ND

Posted 07 October 2023 - 09:28 AM

I've upgraded every 2 yrs since 2012. So I'm very disappointed that the subscription model is the only way to upgrade this year. 

as a builder that designs and builds own homes and getting a bit long in the tooth I would like to continue using the current version 

Failure to pay the monthly subscription fee terminates access to the SoftPlan software, all modules, and the SoftPlan+ cloud services.
This is very disappointing. Having paid Approx $18,000 over the years to think if I went to the subscription model that would all be taken away if I stopped paying into the future.
Shame on you Softplan.

Gary Anderson

SoftPlan user scene 1993

#8 Gary Anderson

Gary Anderson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBisamrck, ND

Posted 07 October 2023 - 09:37 AM

Neil, I do agree with you, i have been a user from Dos days 93 and i am very disappointed with the subscription only, One thing i want to mention is i have quoted some verbiage from the terms and conditions that Softplan had that stated if your + subscription payments surpassed the current price you would go back to the previous version. Oddly enough the terms and conditions changed the day after i quoted it (They took it off) i wouldn't be suppressed if this post is also deleted by softplan. Sorry of the rant, but it was a bit sneaky on Softplan's part. to change the wording after i quoted it. By the way I Will not updates due to the fact i may never be able to open any projects years down the road if want to cancel the subscription. 

• RUSSELL LITTEN likes this

Gary Anderson

SoftPlan user scene 1993

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 07 October 2023 - 07:55 PM

We were told originally, that once your subscription amount exceeded the cost of the program, you were deemed to have bought that version ... or words to that effect. Obviously that's no longer the case, but what about companies that have been subscribers for a number of years. The last version we actually bought was a while ago now. Probably not even supported anymore.

• Gary Anderson and RUSSELL LITTEN like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#10 Don Gibbons

Don Gibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 October 2023 - 07:07 AM

I think a fully subscription based program was inevitable. SoftPlan is one of the last programs I use to do that.

• John Jones likes this

#11 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 08 October 2023 - 08:57 AM

Shame on you Softplan.

Hi Neil, I’m the same(long in the tooth…lol), luckily I bought the 2022 update before all the updates were removed and replaced by the Softplan+ subscription.

Just don’t upgrade.

• Larry Hartensteiner likes this

#12 Gary Wicklund

Gary Wicklund

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationDuncan BC Canada

Posted 08 October 2023 - 09:08 AM

We were told originally, that once your subscription amount exceeded the cost of the program, you were deemed to have bought that version ... or words to that effect. Obviously that's no longer the case, but what about companies that have been subscribers for a number of years. The last version we actually bought was a while ago now. Probably not even supported anymore.

Hi Keith 

That makes me wonder what would happen if Softplan closed or sold? Would you still have access to your current drawings? Would you be left with the full current version,or revert to your last owned version?

#13 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 08 October 2023 - 10:53 AM

The problem is ...

The last "OWNED" version may not be able to open ANY of your current projects. Depending on how long you've had the subscription.

I'd like clarification as to what the last "owned" version is!

• Allen McDonnell likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#14 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 10:21 AM

Purchse SP 2022.jpg Purchse SP 2022 Response.jpg Currently subscribed to SP 2024 with most projects still in SP 2022. Would like to cancel the subscription and continue without  a subscription

using SP2022. Asked about purchasing SP 2022 from another user if available. Question and response reflected in attached emails.

#15 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 10:47 AM

The problem is ...

The last "OWNED" version may not be able to open ANY of your current projects. Depending on how long you've had the subscription.

I'd like clarification as to what the last "owned" version is!

Keith, Last owned version would be version owned at start of your subscription. Ours is Version 12 which we owned outright when the subscription plan started.

#16 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 06:04 PM

subscription/softplan + didn't start till at least v2020...can't remember the exact version it was added.  I started on v13 and had to pay for several upgrades before going to subscription.  

#17 Steve and Carla Farnam

Steve and Carla Farnam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 07:13 PM

[quote name="Sam Morgan" post="45233" timestamp="1711929842"]

subscription/softplan + didn't start till at least v2020...can't remember the exact version it was added. I started on v13 and had to pay for several upgrades before going to subscription.

?

#18 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 AM

I talked to sales today to find out what my last "owned" version was. Turns out it is 2016. I downloaded 2016 to install and play with it some in order to see how painful it would be to revert back.  When installing it had me remove the key and then I got a message that the newer version had to be removed before I could proceed. I ignored that and it started downloading additional content. Can I have both 2016 and 2024 on the same computer at the same time or am I about to mess up all my stuff?

#19 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Yes, I make a different folder for each version like Softplan2020, then when I install it I direct the installation to that folder.
  • rick hoge likes this

#20 Dennis Asher

Dennis Asher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationWillow Springs, Missouri

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 AM

Yes, I make a different folder for each version like Softplan2020, then when I install it I direct the installation to that folder.

That's what I did...Thanks Richard!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2024

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users