Derk Burgers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSioux Center, Iowa

Posted 09 November 2023 - 04:33 PM

Hi all,

I am looking for some help in getting this drawn as it would be built.

I've reached out to tech support, and they recommended a work around.

I'd really prefer to do it as built, since this is an important project for us and will have structural engineer involved.

I'm also always working toward accuracy of drawing with a view toward using Softlist.

There is a 3-story clear story wall that matches top plates with the 3rd story walls.

The flat roof , no overhangs, with parapets, covers the entire house.

I can't get Softplan to model the parapet on the clear story section.

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks,

Derk

Attached Files

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 November 2023 - 07:04 AM

Photos of the actual building may help.  I'm unsure what you're trying to do

#3 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 10 November 2023 - 10:10 AM

Platform framing makes sense. I would think the clerestory system (or flat roof and parapet walls) would be more of a platform framed system as well. So, it would typically be built with a flat joist structure, flat sheathing and then a tapered foam or other underlayment to create the slope(s). The structure should be modeled as a floor system, not roof. The underlayment and roof membrane could be modeled separately. It would be able to be modeled with wedges, slabs (with slopes), or best with some sort of site polygon (think planting bed, concrete, patio, sidewalk or other polygon that slopes can be controlled with). Or, you could bring in a sloped foam/underlayment model done in SketchUp. Then, a membrane roof and any finish surfaces could be modeled over the top. You also could place a roof directly on the floor system by working with the heel heights and overhangs and pitches. But, I think that may be more futile than it is worth. With any solid mass you create you can assign a material and associated cost if that is needed.

• RUSSELL LITTEN and David Zawadzki like this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#4 Derk Burgers

Derk Burgers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 November 2023 - 10:41 AM

I was typing out a response to Sam's message earlier and, in explaining myself, it dawned on me that I could draw the walls on the 3rd floor plan with a wall height of 0". That did exactly what I was hoping. It tricks the roof system into believing that there is a wall on the 3rd floor, and then the roof and parapets auto-generate correctly. It does add 1 extra plate in sections/framing views, but I'm sure I could use a wall definition of sheathing/stucco only or something to get rid of that.

Sometimes leaving the project and coming back to it, and talking (typing) through it can solve your problems!

• David Zawadzki likes this

#5 Derk Burgers

Derk Burgers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 November 2023 - 10:46 AM

Platform framing makes sense. I would think the clerestory system (or flat roof and parapet walls) would be more of a platform framed system as well. So, it would typically be built with a flat joist structure, flat sheathing and then a tapered foam or other underlayment to create the slope(s). The structure should be modeled as a floor system, not roof. The underlayment and roof membrane could be modeled separately. It would be able to be modeled with wedges, slabs (with slopes), or best with some sort of site polygon (think planting bed, concrete, patio, sidewalk or other polygon that slopes can be controlled with). Or, you could bring in a sloped foam/underlayment model done in SketchUp. Then, a membrane roof and any finish surfaces could be modeled over the top. You also could place a roof directly on the floor system by working with the heel heights and overhangs and pitches. But, I think that may be more futile than it is worth. With any solid mass you create you can assign a material and associated cost if that is needed.

I think there's a very recent thread about slight slopes that says "Good notes should suffice"  :)

If that is good enough for a deck, it's good enough for a flat roof 3 stories off the ground!

• Mark Petri and David Zawadzki like this

#6 Peter Nauta

Peter Nauta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:51 AM

I'm working on a project currently that has been doing something with my walls and roof above the main floor.  It's a bit odd as the floor system doesn't have a complete mud plate as there is a walkout with a kneewall.
Regardless, Its a shed style roof, 0.5/12 pitch, with 2ft fascia.  At first where the issue with the wall surfaces not lining up in 2 corners, It would create a 2" raised edge from the front to the back wall.  I managed to fix that but now the front of my fascia on my portico has an edge going from the top left to the bottom right corner.  Almost how like a piece of aluminum is slightly flexed.  Only thing it appears to be completely flat as 1 plane, and even when I change textures etc... it still is present.
The only way I can get rid of those glitches is to make the roof completely flat... but with the size of the building, I lose the extra 2 ft or so above my top windows on the front.
I've done everything step by step and have done a few of the 3D and roof training courses.
If anyone has experienced anything of the like with low pitched roofs and found something that I am missing, please let me know what it was.

Peter Nauta
Nauta Home Designs
3D Designer

Softplan Computer
i7-6700K @4.00GHz
32GB DDR4
GTX 980Ti

Lumion Computer
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x 3.6GHz - 4.1GHz
16GB RAM
GEFORCE RTX 3070

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: workaround, parapet, flat roof, lollipop, reference, edge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users