3 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 10:21 PM

I am having a few problematic results when I am trying to achieve a specific undermount sink configuration. The current method of how SoftPlan generates sink assemblies is by defining the symbol to 'Cuts Countertop'. By doing so, both the cabinet and the countertop is cut to the outer perimeter of the sink symbol.

Attached File  Undermount Countertop.png   105.95KB   0 downloads

The cabinet on the left has the SoftPlan undermount sink where the edge of the countertop is flush with the edge of the sink because the perimeter of the sink has no lip. The current library is very limited with these types of sinks and I often need a sink that looks more like the one in the center cabinet. This is my current most used sink which I offset the symbol down to get the effect of it being undermount. The problem is that the lip of the sink is still visible on the perimeter rather than being flush or inset from the countertop edge. Here is a photo of the sink configuration I am trying to achieve:

Attached File  Undermount Sink.jpg   69.29KB   0 downloads

So, my knowledge was to just edit the symbol; under the definition uncheck 'Cuts Countertop' and this will allow me to draw a custom countertop that has a 1/4" lip over the edge of the sink to get a more dramatic undermount appearance. However, when I uncheck this setting, the sink symbol no longer cuts the cabinet as shown in the example photo. My solution to this would be SoftPlan separating the 'Cuts Countertop' setting with both 'Cuts Countertop' and 'Cuts Cabinet' for symbols so that the user can add a countertop lip to any sink. This will also be useful for apron sinks that are undermount and are commonly installed with a small countertop lip overhang into the sink basin. In addition, it would be a useful feature to allow users to cut holes into countertops so that the 4 corners of the hole can be slightly rounded rather than a sharp 90 degree.

Attached File  Undermount Farm Sink.jpg   137.38KB   0 downloads

My current workaround is to use sinks with a very small lip and offset them down to the desired height as shown in the center cabinet to achieve the look but it would be helpful to have these additional features to get a more realistic result for rendering since I often get clients asking about these small little details in my renders and I have to constantly tell them that the sink configuration will be slightly different for an undermount. Usually this is corrected by showing real-life examples of the sink but I was wondering if anyone else ran into this problem or has other solutions.

• Mark Petri and Allen McDonnell like this

#2 Mark Petri

Mark Petri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationEvergreen, CO

Posted 29 April 2024 - 09:11 AM

I agree. A lot more customization options with sink, cabinet and counter setting alone would be nice.

• Allen McDonnell likes this

Mark Petri

Petri Building and Design

#3 Ron Sirolli

Ron Sirolli

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 02:17 PM

How about if you move the sink back the picture is a lot wider the normal maybe make the counter wider

#4 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 05:43 AM

I didn't read thru all this, and I don't try to do perfect sinks and stuff, but for a under mount sink, I've been lowering the offset and it ends up an undermount sink sorta.

• David Zawadzki likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sinks, Countertops, Undermount, Kitchen, Bath

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users