• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Kemman

Dave Kemman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

Looking for recommendations to capture drawings and measurements of basements, room, kitchens.  Currently, when I'm in the field, I pencil draw a basement layout then laser measure and mark the lines with the measurements then take pictures.  When back at the office, start SoftPlan and convert pencil drawings to walls, etc.

I have been looking at the Blue Tooth laser measures but would like to know if anyone can recommend an Android app or laser measure solution that I can stick draw walls, Bluetooth measure and have the measurements added to my drawings.  Ideally, it would be great import the drawing into SoftPlan and convert to walls, etc. 

Thanks in advance.

Dave

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

I guess there could be lots of tricks. Pictures aid me a lot.  Take pictures of walls straight on.  When doing exterior, back away far so perspective is reduced.  With digital you can easily blow up on screen.  If you have enough measurements you can fill in other by reference.  I have used ratios against know distances to get measurements.  I do not use any measuring aids except a sonic measuring device (old one and not that accurate but in a pinch is ok).  Best to have someone help you so one draws and the other measures and reports.  Measure brick or siding to know pattern size and count off how many courses to get pretty good distances.  Same with window of door sizes so you can ratio off from pictures.  I am sure others can think of other techniques and tricks.

#3 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

I used to sketch everything by hand.

I now bring my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (running Softplan) to the job site and draw everything right in Softplan.

I use a Leica Laser Measuring tool that has Bluetooth.  I draw my walls, put in some temporary dimensions and then use the Bluetooth to transfer measurements I take to the dimensions in Softplan.

It works very well.

I also will document everything with pictures.

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

I draw as I go using softplan on my surface book in the field.  I bought a tripod stand that has a mouse table built in so its pretty easy to measure everything and draw and then I don't forget anything when I get home.  I take lots of pictures as well

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Measuring, Drawing, DWG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users