• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Kemman

Dave Kemman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

Looking for recommendations to capture drawings and measurements of basements, room, kitchens.  Currently, when I'm in the field, I pencil draw a basement layout then laser measure and mark the lines with the measurements then take pictures.  When back at the office, start SoftPlan and convert pencil drawings to walls, etc.

I have been looking at the Blue Tooth laser measures but would like to know if anyone can recommend an Android app or laser measure solution that I can stick draw walls, Bluetooth measure and have the measurements added to my drawings.  Ideally, it would be great import the drawing into SoftPlan and convert to walls, etc. 

Thanks in advance.

Dave

#2 Kevin Rabenaldt

Kevin Rabenaldt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 02 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

I guess there could be lots of tricks. Pictures aid me a lot.  Take pictures of walls straight on.  When doing exterior, back away far so perspective is reduced.  With digital you can easily blow up on screen.  If you have enough measurements you can fill in other by reference.  I have used ratios against know distances to get measurements.  I do not use any measuring aids except a sonic measuring device (old one and not that accurate but in a pinch is ok).  Best to have someone help you so one draws and the other measures and reports.  Measure brick or siding to know pattern size and count off how many courses to get pretty good distances.  Same with window of door sizes so you can ratio off from pictures.  I am sure others can think of other techniques and tricks.

#3 Michael Roman

Michael Roman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationPeshtigo, WI

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

I used to sketch everything by hand.

I now bring my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (running Softplan) to the job site and draw everything right in Softplan.

I use a Leica Laser Measuring tool that has Bluetooth.  I draw my walls, put in some temporary dimensions and then use the Bluetooth to transfer measurements I take to the dimensions in Softplan.

It works very well.

I also will document everything with pictures.

• Brent Hyndman likes this

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

I draw as I go using softplan on my surface book in the field.  I bought a tripod stand that has a mouse table built in so its pretty easy to measure everything and draw and then I don't forget anything when I get home.  I take lots of pictures as well

#5 Tim Stockton

Tim Stockton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 01:24 PM

I take my laptop with me in the field and draw right into SP.  I used to draw on paper, but found there were often problems or things I forgot and then had to make additional trips to the field.  Taking the laptop eliminates all of that.

#6 Brad Graber

Brad Graber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:02 AM

I have often considered this.  Does this add any considerable amount of time to your field measure.  And also do you setup shop at the clients table, or walk around and input measurements.  Sometimes when I measure a house it can be 10 degrees and blowing wind, so outdoors is not always ideal for me.  I have seen some folks using the microsoft tablets, and it is intriguing for sure.

#7 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:03 AM

I draw as I go using softplan on my surface book in the field.  I bought a tripod stand that has a mouse table built in so its pretty easy to measure everything and draw and then I don't forget anything when I get home.  I take lots of pictures as well

Sam-anything you recommend on the stand?  Durability, balance, level, etc.  Last thing I need is one to tip over. :-)

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"‚Äč

Version 10 to Version 2016+ and beyond

www.residentialproductions.com

#8 Brian Berzinskis

Brian Berzinskis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:47 AM

I still use the pencil and paper method. I have a Surface Pro but I found that drawing is too time consuming. I can measure a 4000 square foot house with a pad and laser measure all by myself in under 1 hour. I have found that taking pictures with a GoPro camera is a huge help because it has a wide angle lens. That means that I only take 3 or 4 pictures of each room and capture everything. Sure there is a little distortion, quality is not amazing in low light but these pictures are just for reference not for publication. So that has saved me a bunch of time. Also my laser measure by Leica has bluetooth but I found that it only transfers measurements to their app with no real reference of where the lines are for unless you start drawing it like you would in SoftPlan so I don't even use that feature. But having a nice small laser measure that can hit the side of a piece of window or door trim accurately is a huge time saver for me doing it alone.

#9 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:18 PM

Here's the stand I use.  Ordered on amazon.  Brand is quicklok.  I think it was around a hundred bucks or so.  I modified the mouse tray to handle the huge vertical mouse that I take with me.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2018-09-11 14.22.02.jpg

• Tom Rogers likes this

#10 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 04 December 2018 - 01:30 PM

Hope that this is a picture before renovations  :D