Photo
- - - - -

3D Rendering & 3D Texture- is it my settings or my computer?

Renderings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

I recently decided to get better familier with my SoftPlan 14 3D capabilities. To say its a work in progress is an understatement to say the least. To cut to the chase I've fooling around trying to work on some winter Renderings when I noticed my Rendering and Texture look exactly the same. I will attach each JPEG file for comparisons. Are they suppose to look the same? I always thought that the Rendering was a much more detailed then the textured but I'm not seeing it. Help!

3d rendering 2-15-15.jpg

3d textured 2-15-15.jpg

#2 Chris Stewart

Chris Stewart

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

All of the modes can be set exactly the same so the difference is how each is set.

Texture mode default is to render with GPU and Render is default to CPU Ray Trace

The biggest difference between raytraced and GPU is how accurately shadows, reflections, Depth Relief and light are rendered.

In this case you are not using the sun to cast shadows or reflections in glass etc. so there is not much difference.

Or you may have inadvertently set both modes to the same setting. 

Other differences is GPU render allows you to use lines

CPU render allows you to use hard shadows

Overall though a pretty good first effort

You could add just a very little amount of sun to give it a little more definition and maybe warm the lights to make it more welcoming.

The best thing to do is experiment with different settings to see how each effects the rendering.

All comments are my opinion only and may or may not be correct
-Chris

#3 randolph cohn

randolph cohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Locationmarin county - california

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:49 PM

thomas

you can get some nice winter renderings using snow texture with site terrains.

hard to tell you how to do site terrains on a splash post.

if you have softplan (+),  check out their tutorials on the "start page"

and also go to softplantuts.com  > bill has done a great job with learning

softplan with tutorials.

jpg-SNOW-scene-for-splash.jpg

randy

v10 to future 2016+ ;)

#4 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Chris! Yes at some point I changed the settings in Render to GPU. I reset it back to CPU and now I can see the difference. I remember changing it as I thought it Regenerated faster but didn't realize it changed it to Textured as a result. Thank for the help and I look forward to not seeing Newbie over my head in future post. :)  

#5 Thomas Kreun

Thomas Kreun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

Wow Randy! after reading your post I realized I could change the shingles texture to snow texture. I haven't tried it yet so I'm just assuming at this point but after seeing the rendering you attached I'm confident at some point I'll get the winter theme figured out. I've also read somewhere on Spline (Facebook) that Sketchup is a great tool to use as well. I'll try to master SoftPlan 14 before venturing down that path.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Renderings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users