8 replies to this topic

#1 Colin Freichels

Colin Freichels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:52 AM

I've got a pocketed multi-slide scenic door that a customer wants in between their great room and the 4-season porch. Anyone have any ideas on how I would go about accurately representing that in plan view and 3D? I could always just line draw it but would really like something that shows up in the 3D view as well. To simplify what I'm looking to do, I pretty much just need to make a custom pocket door with 3 separate panels. Is that possible?

In case I've done a poor job describing what the door is supposed to be like here's a link to the manufacturer's page: Marvin Multi-slide door. Thanks!

#2 Yvon Gonthier

Yvon Gonthier

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

I think your best bet is to create a 2D floor plan symbol and a 3D symbol. Draw an arch opening on the floor plan and insert your 2D symbol for the door (link the 2D symbol to your 3D symbol).

#3 Murray Loewen

Murray Loewen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:55 AM

Check out this forum thread, http://softplan.com/...l=+pocket +door. The discussion there was about a 4-panel pocket door, so it would need some tweaking to change it to a 3-panel door. I was going to try it out with the symbol files Keith posted there, but I couldn't download them. Keith, do you still have those Western Window symbol files and could re-post them here?

#4 Martin Livingston

Martin Livingston

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • LocationHalifax, Nova Scotia

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:58 AM

If you want some quick, 3-D models go to Sketchup Warehouse and search for Nanawall. There are several configuration choices and are easy to modify to suit your needs.

Five out of four people are not very good with fractions

www.cresco.ca

#5 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:07 PM

Check out this forum thread, http://softplan.com/...l=+pocket +door. The discussion there was about a 4-panel pocket door, so it would need some tweaking to change it to a 3-panel door. I was going to try it out with the symbol files Keith posted there, but I couldn't download them. Keith, do you still have those Western Window symbol files and could re-post them here?

Apologies ... I could have sworn that I still had them, but cannot put my hands on them at the moment. I'll have a look on my business computer too when I get a minute.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#6 Brent Hyndman

Brent Hyndman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:45 PM

I think you can use the Exterior Door- Face Sliding doors in plan. They will stack as shown in the literature.

With regards to them being a 'Pocket Door', the image in the literature looks as thought they are simply stacked between two walls. I have shown a 4 panel option here with the door swing at 45 degrees to show it partially open in 3D.

If the inside wall needs to go all the way across just extend it and add an arch to it that matches the size of the multi-panel slider.

Since Face Sliding doors typically lay flat once they are pulled out of their pocket, they will not look like the sliding patio doors should in 3D. You could use a Patio Door in 3D for the closed position and change the number of sections to three. They will actually show the stagger between the panels.

Attached File  Face Sliding with Wall Enclosure.png   2.71KB   3 downloads

Attached File  Face Sliding with Wall Enclosure 3D.png   692.2KB   4 downloads

• John Jones and Tom Rogers like this

#7 Colin Freichels

Colin Freichels

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:41 AM

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help. I'll try a few of these out. Thanks again!

#8 Tom Rogers

Tom Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationVilla Rica, Georgia

Posted 26 November 2018 - 07:21 PM

Here are the Western Windows that Keith created for me.  

Attached Files

"remember... what we are building today, should be what we want in the future"​
Version 10 to Version 2024+ and beyond
www.residentialproductions.com

#9 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:16 PM

Thanks Tom. I was going to ask if you still had them.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: door, custom, pocket door

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users