#1 Dennis Swihart

Dennis Swihart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMontgomery County, MD

Posted 23 September 2023 - 09:52 AM

Hello - Could someone please provide tips for how to get this opening to look right?  This is just a flat top arch inserted into the wall.  As you can see, the gyp bd doesn't wrap the ends of the arch and there is a visible join line where the walls meet.  Is there a better way to do this? 

Also, I'm finding that the gyp bd on my wing walls does not wrap the end as shown in the 3rd image.  How can I get that to wrap the end?

Thank you.

Attached Files

#2 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 September 2023 - 10:09 AM

Don't put an opening in ... Stop the wall at the corner, and add a high level (hidden) wall over the top of the opening.

Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#3 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 11:40 AM

hit a cleanup                             is that wall at passthru a separate wall?

#4 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 23 September 2023 - 11:48 AM

What are the “none” 1/4” spaces for in your wall definition?

I tried to recreate your problem but didn’t get the same results as you, then I noticed the none in wall definition and wonder why you had them…
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#5 Dennis Swihart

Dennis Swihart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 03:45 PM

I assume by a hidden wall, you mean to check the box that says hidden.  After trying that and fiddling with the walls, I get the image below.  I assume if I make a new wall type for this, I can get the double lines to only show single lines.  But I'm still getting the line on the wall and the intersection of the overhead wall not very clean.  Is there more that I can do here?  Am I on the right track?

BTW - the "none" material is a a work-around to get the room sizes to round down.  I find that when I put rooms in, it will either round up to the next inch or you can have it not round at all (I think).  What I need is to show whole inches but I can't round up.  I hope there is a better way to do this, but the only thing I could think of was to put a 1/4" thick material on the wall so that the room size always measures 1/2" less (1/4" per side of room).  This gives me the effect I need, but sure isn't ideal.

Attached Files

#6 Dennis Swihart

Dennis Swihart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 03:56 PM

Here it is a little better.  This time with a different wall type for the header.  I did the offsets a little differently and got the 3d view to look better but I've still got some lines I'd like to get rid of.  And how can I get the end of the wall on the right to show gypsum board and not the stud?  Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

#7 Dennis Swihart

Dennis Swihart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 04:01 PM

BTW - I also took out the NONE material, just to figure out if that's part of the problem and I get the same result as above.

#8 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 24 September 2023 - 09:44 AM

Use a beam instead of an opening, edit beam and put a checkmark "Add Drywall".

Attached Files

• Steve Haarmann and Myron Edwards like this

#9 Dennis Swihart

Dennis Swihart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2023 - 09:50 AM

I talked to Support and learned that you have to be in a true 3d view for it to display properly.  I was using a sectional view as my 3d view to solve performance issues.  Support confirmed that walls don't wrap in sectional views. I can get it to look right using a hidden wall, as long as I'm looking at a 3D view.  Unfortunately, the unwanted lines show up in shaded interior elevation views.  My workaround for now is to use an illustrated view with sketch turned off for interior elevations.  Seems like exterior elevations are OK.

When I tried the beam idea mentioned above, I got visible lines where the beam intersected the side walls.  I suspect that might be due to a poor graphics card.

#10 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 01 October 2023 - 12:24 PM

I am curious what graphics card do you have in your computer?

Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wall wrap, header, opening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users