• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gainer Nissen

Gainer Nissen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 04:28 PM

Hi all, just getting back into residential design after a 15 year hiatus.  As I ramp back up, I'm redrafting all of my standard details and notes.  I know there are the standard symbol details within SoftPlan which is a good start but I was hoping to find something on the forum to get some ideas and save some drafting time.  As I recall SPLASH (that shows you how long it's been) had mechanism for sharing files, symbols, details, etc.  Came here hoping to find anything that I could use to re-create my standard details and notes.

Also, as I pull this together, I would also appreciate some feedback on how much detail others include in the drawing package vs just reference the building codes and put the onus on the builder to go look at the codes.  My experience is that the builders want just enough information in the drawing package to get the permit.

Appreciate any thoughts...

Gainer

#2 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 05:12 PM

I have 5 full sheets of notes and details then my engineer typically adds 6-10 more.  Plan reviewers are pretty brutal here in Utah

#3 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 February 2024 - 09:22 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the designer HAS to tell the builder how to construct ... It's not good enough to have a code reference and have the builder decide what complies and what doesn't. Builders here typically don't even know or understand the code. Most of them don't even own a code book.

• Doug Stephenson likes this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#4 Doug Stephenson

Doug Stephenson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationWinchester, Kentucky

Posted 15 February 2024 - 07:37 AM

Keith, I ask all my new builders the same question, and I get the same response, no.

Leading the builder in the right direction is primary, but I don't think I'm responsible

for teaching them how to build a house. As for general notes, I got the plan review sheet

from towns surrounding me and put in information for all questions.

#5 Matthew Dunson

Matthew Dunson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:22 PM

I have had this challenge for a while now where it basically comes down to how much detail is too much or whether it is adequate enough while balancing your time spending on detailing. I work in a setting where there is a combination of custom and factory standard housing and I have slowly added more and more to the drawing sets because of the necessity of accuracy and execution of the final product. As Keith mentioned, it shouldn't be up to the builder to make design decisions, the plans should try to at least get the basics such as floor plans, elevations, sections, etc. but the intricate portions come in the detailing that calls out structural connections specified and approved by the engineer, roof assemblies, window and door flashing, etc. which are all things that are referenced in code but are executed differently both by various builders and geographical area. I basically think of details as such; if I think or know a certain building element can be executed a different way or interpreted elsewise, I will do my best to provide a detail since at least I am giving guidance of what is expected and if there are problems in the future, at least you have documented reference to support the problem. Most of the time, the builders reading off my plans do not reference a code book. It is always good practice to specify the line of code and the make a note such as (per IRC...) for double reference. Lastly, it comes down to your own personal time. I am still building out my detail sheets for each project and once you have a good catalog, it will only be a matter of click and paste (until you need new details).

#6 Gainer Nissen

Gainer Nissen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 05:50 PM

Appreciate the feedback - some very good points.  Sounds like Louisiana may be less stringent permitting process than Utah.  I have attached what I have for general notes which admittedly sounds like a lot of weasel words intended to pass all responsibility and liability to the builder.Attached File  GENERAL NOTES.txt   2.88KB   33 downloads

This is just the General Notes - I am working on the other standard notes for Foundation, framing / sheathing, mechanical, electrical, etc. Will share those once they are further along.

Anyway - here are the General Notes if anyone wants to read and comment

Gainer

#7 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:10 PM

These sheets go into every project I design whether its a new home, stock plan, or addition.  I rarely do project specific details unless there's something unusual going on in the project.  Engineer adds his sheets after mine.  I have 2 more that are too large to include in this post.  Will see if I can resize and add them

Attached Files

• RUSSELL LITTEN, Matthew Dunson and Colin Freichels like this

#8 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 February 2024 - 06:11 PM

Most of the details I use either came with softplan and I've modified them to meet my needs or they were downloaded from manufacturer websites or the US DOE website.  No need to recreate things that have been already done by someone else.

Attached Files

• David Zawadzki and Colin Freichels like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: details, notes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users