• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew VanderMeer

Andrew VanderMeer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2024 - 08:52 AM

I was wondering if anyone has any idea's on how to speed up 3D adjustments with the roof on? My PC, is more then powerful enough.

After the process of elimination I've determined as soon as the roof is on the house wall, window and deck adjustments slow down

to about 7 seconds. Especially if the roof is on the 2nd floor and I have a multi floor roof. Solids, post and symbols adjust instantly.

Doesn't matter what 3D mode, mode options. Its just the roof!

If I remove the roof with Building Options the wall adjustments are again instant.

Thanks!

#2 Brendan Smythe

Brendan Smythe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 February 2024 - 12:31 PM

I'm having speed issues also in 3D. Coincidently, I have upgraded my PC and Softplan 2024 around the same time. So I'm not certain which is causing the slowness issue.

But working on the 3d model is massively slower. I have to wait for the model to regen after every command, taking 4-6 seconds each time. Very annoying!

The previous softplan with my older computer was much faster. I don't know where to start with a solution. I bought the best computer and video card possible, made all the updates...

Does Softplan have any optimal settings that will take advantage of the computers speed? Any pointers to what is causing a slow 3d model?

Something has change in this 2024 version. Even loading symbols are taking longer.

Thank you!

#3 Andrew VanderMeer

Andrew VanderMeer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 08:48 AM

Hi Brendan,

What happens if you remove the roof in your model? That's the only thing that is slowing mine down.

In the past I have had to manually set up the program to run on the graphics card you have install, usually you can do this through the cards driver menu or the graphics settings on your PC.

For some reason I can't attach and image. See this link: https://support.desi...d-graphics-card

Thanks,

#4 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:37 AM

I assume you guys are talking about the 3D regenerating when you are making edits in the 3D model itself?  I've noticed that as well but it hasn't been horrible....just a little slower than previous versions.  

#5 Andrew VanderMeer

Andrew VanderMeer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:41 AM

Hi Sam,

Correct, mine really just slows down when I have a multi floor roof.

As soon as I remove the roof with building options its speeds up.

I'm just curios if there are any settings I can change with the roof to speed it up.

Usually I'll have the Multi roof on the upper most floor, but what I haven't tried is having the multi roof on the main floor.

Thanks!

#6 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:42 AM

you can't do a multi roof on a two story home from the main.  It will show your basement level. 

• David Zawadzki likes this

#7 Andrew VanderMeer

Andrew VanderMeer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 10:53 AM

True, so much for that Idea.

Do you find the roof slows things down? Or is it consistent speed the whole time?

#8 Sam Morgan

Sam Morgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2024 - 11:37 AM

I haven't looked at anything without the roof on yet.  

#9 Brendan Smythe

Brendan Smythe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 14 February 2024 - 04:30 PM

I will give the video card programing a try... lets see how if it makes a difference

#10 Keith Almond

Keith Almond

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,099 posts
  • LocationBrockville, Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 February 2024 - 09:20 PM

If you're using a computer with onboard graphics and a separate dedicated graphics card like an Nvidia card, make sure that the 3D is using the dedicated card ... See the information section (HELP > INFORMATION) in the 3D window to confirm which card is being used. Mine defaulted to the onboard graphics.

• Mark Petri, Andrew VanderMeer and Steven Wohlgemuth like this
Keith

There are 10 types of people in this world ....... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Softplan user since version 5.5.2.5

www.homehardwarekingston.ca

#11 Andrew VanderMeer

Andrew VanderMeer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 February 2024 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Keith,

I did take a look, its using my Nvidia card. I've sent a request into softplan, hopefully they can help me out!

#12 Brendan Smythe

Brendan Smythe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:36 AM

I fixed the settings to only use the Nvidia card, but didn't make it faster. So it must be another issue causing it to be slow. I talked with Softplan, they said to use DirectX 12.

X12 is faster, but DirectX 11 looks better. We have been using this render for better looking concepts. Each option has the same settings but X12 looks worse, lines are chunky, shadows fade, etc...

Anyone else have this issue? Why would the 2022 DirectX 11 render faster than 2024 DirectX 11???? Something changed in the upgrade.

Attached Files

#13 Brendan Smythe

Brendan Smythe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 22 February 2024 - 11:38 AM

actually... here is the rendering with the shadows turned on with DirectX 12:

Attached Files

#14 Richard Rubinski

Richard Rubinski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, GA.

Posted 22 February 2024 - 12:25 PM

Brendan, are you using the Game Ready Driver or the Studio Driver? I was told by Nvidia to use the Studio Driver. At the top right the click on the 3 dots and you can select which one that you want.Just a thought.

Attached Files

#15 David Zawadzki

David Zawadzki

Boss

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 22 February 2024 - 01:00 PM

Have you clicked on the little lighting bolt icon in the middle of the toolbar?
Award winning Design+Builder with over 40 years of construction experience. Homes built in Michigan, Utah and Idaho. Construction projects in CA, AZ, NV, ID, UT, NE, MO, NM, FL, GA, NY, and MI.

https://idahocustomhomes.weebly.com/

Twinmotion 2024, Autocad, SoftPlan 2024, Solidbuilder, Chief Architect X15, Sketchup, 3D Home Architect, etc.

CyberPowerPC Syber Forti SFG9EX Gaming Desktop Computer, Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 3TB HDD + 1TB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 10GB, Windows 10 Pro

.Disclaimer: I'm not saying I'm Superman. All I am saying is no one has seen Superman and me in the same room together.<p><p>

Softplan user since 1989

#16 Fred Russell

Fred Russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 23 February 2024 - 06:24 AM

i've found that reflections can slow thing down and leaves on trees

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3D, slow, adjustment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users